National Psoriasis Foundation Shares Tips On Over
- The National Psoriasis Foundation released a webinar with dermatologist-recommended tips on over-the-counter products for psoriasis.
- Over-the-counter products like moisturizers, topical hydrocortisone, and topical tar-based products can help manage mild to moderate psoriasis.
The National Psoriasis Foundation released a new webinar, What You Need to Know About Over-the-Counter Treatments for Psoriatic Disease, on Sept. 23. In the webinar, dermatologist Dr. Steven Feldman, director of the Psoriasis Treatment Center at the Wake Forest School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, shared insights and tips on a wide variety of nonprescription products for psoriasis.
The majority of the webinar focused on treating and relieving the symptoms of mild to moderate psoriasis . As Dr. Feldman noted, over-the-counter products alone may not be sufficient in treating extensive disease.
Using Hydrocortisone With Other Skin Creams
Do not apply hydrocortisone at the same time as other creams or ointments such as a moisturiser. Wait at least 10 minutes between using hydrocortisone and any other product. Try to use different skin products at different times of the day.
If you’re using a dressing like a bandage or plaster, wait at least 10 minutes after putting hydrocortisone on.
What Is The Usual Length Of Treatment
Most doctors prefer to prescribe topical steroids for as short a period of time as possible, in particular those applied to the skin. Strong topical steroids are normally not used for much longer than one week. This is because topical steroids can have a number of side-effects. However, the length of treatment normally depends on the condition being treated and how severe the condition is. Some people need to use topical steroids in the long term sprays for allergies). Other people may only need to use them for a week or so . Some people need to use them for months . Your doctor will explain when they prescribe the topical steroid.
You May Like: What Is Psoriasis Skin Condition
What Types Of Topical Steroids Are There
There are many topical steroids available. These are some of the more commonly used ones in the UK:
- Creams and ointments, such as hydrocortisone, clobetasone, betamethasone, clobetasol and mometasone. There are many others. These are used for skin conditions such as eczema, contact dermatitis and psoriasis.
- Nose sprays such as beclometasone, fluticasone, mometasone and budesonide. These are used for conditions such as hay fever, allergies and non-cancerous swellings that grow inside the nose or sinuses .
- Nose drops such as betamethasone. These are used for conditions such as hay fever, allergies and nasal polyps.
- Eye drops or ointments such as betamethasone, dexamethasone, prednisolone, loteprednol, fluorometholone and rimexolone. These are used to reduce inflammation after operations to the eye. They are also used for certain other conditions which cause the eye to be inflamed.
- Ear drops such as betamethasone, prednisolone and dexamethasone. These are used when the ear canal is inflamed – for example, with eczema or an infection .
- Preparations which can be inserted into the rectum, which may be suppositories, ointments or foams. These include prednisolone, hydrocortisone and budesonide. These are for conditions which involve inflammation of the gut – for example, ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease.
Antihistamines And Pain Relievers
Atopic dermatitis , the most common form of eczema is part of whats known as the atopic triad . In fact, people with AD have a greater chance of developing comorbidities or related health conditions, namely asthma, hay fever and food allergies.
To help combat itch and curb inflammation if you have allergies, a healthcare provider may suggest antihistamines. Some antihistamines also contain sedatives that can help people sleep.
Examples of OTC oral antihistamines include:
To address common eczema symptoms such as burning, pain and inflammation, a healthcare provider may also suggest OTC pain relievers such as:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs including ibuprofen
You May Like: Where Do You Get Psoriasis
Types Of Psoriasis Continued
Examples of other types of psoriasis include:
- Inverse Psoriasis:: This psoriasis may affect skin fold areas such as the genital area, under the breast or arms, or around the groin area. The lesions are flat, red, and often without scales.
- Nail Psoriasis: Nails may become yellow-brown, pitted, flake away or detach from the nail bed.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: May occur in up to 30 percent of patients with psoriasis symptoms include swelling of the knees, ankles, hands and toe joints pain and may be accompanied by nail psoriasis.
Other Options For Care
In addition to gentle psoriasis creams, there are other psoriasis treatments here at Walgreens.com that can help soothe your skin. Choose an ointment or gel that can seal in moisture to help heal. There are even bath treatments to calm redness, discomfort and irritation. You can find psoriasis care made with natural ingredients and many are made without any type of fragrance.
Recommended Reading: What Gets Rid Of Psoriasis
Common Questions About Hydrocortisone Skin Treatments
Hydrocortisone is a steroid . Steroids help to reduce swelling in the skin .
Skin gets inflamed when an allergic reaction or irritation causes chemicals to be released in the skin. These make blood vessels widen and the irritated skin becomes red, swollen, itchy and painful.
Hydrocortisone skin treatments work on your skinâs cells to stop these chemicals being released. This reduces symptoms like swelling, redness and itching.
Your skin should start to get better after using hydrocortisone for a few days.
If youâre using a treatment youâve bought from a pharmacy or shop, speak to your doctor if you still have symptoms after 1 week, or if your skin gets worse at any time.
How long you use it for depends on why you’re using it.
To reduce the risk of side effects your doctor may recommend that you only use hydrocortisone for a few weeks at a time.
Once your skin is better, use moisturisers to keep it from becoming inflamed again.
Do not use a hydrocortisone on your face unless a doctor has told you to and given you a prescription for it.
The skin on your face is delicate, so if hydrocortisone damages it, it’s particularly noticeable.
If your doctor has prescribed hydrocortisone for your face, follow their instructions carefully.
What Are The Side
Most people who use topical steroids have no side-effects, or very few. How likely you are to have side-effects depends on how long you use the medicine for, how much is used or applied and how strong the steroid is.
It is not possible to list all the side-effects here. However, listed below are some of the more common and important ones. For a full list of side-effects see the leaflet that comes with your medicine.
- Creams and ointments – burning and stinging may occur in the first two days but usually get better after this. Other side-effects that have been reported include:
- Thinning of the skin.
- Hair growth at the site of application.
- The more serious of these would normally only affect you if you use a strong or very strong steroid cream or ointment for a long time.
- Nose sprays and drops – dryness and irritation of the nose, as well as nosebleeds, have been reported. You may have to stop your nasal spray for a while if any of these occur. Other side-effects include reddening of the skin, rash, itching, and headache. Some people have reported that their sense of smell and taste is disturbed after using a nasal steroid.
- Eye drops – increased pressure inside the eye, cataracts, and blurred vision have been reported. Blurred vision clears very quickly after using an eye drop. People using steroid eye drops are also more likely to have eye infections and inflammation.
Read Also: Can Thyroid Problems Cause Psoriasis
Finding The Right Psoriasis Treatment:
Heres one of the challenging things about treating psoriasis: Your body can build up a tolerance to a certain medications, so something that seemed magical in its ability to bring you relief could suddenly stop working. On the other hand, a treatment that didnt work for you years ago could suddenly work wonders.
Thats why trial and error is a necessary part of psoriasis treatment. Finding the right treatment for psoriasis is much like finding the right partner. It may take some ‘dating’ until the right one finally comes along, says Dr. Gohara. Some may work for a bit, but then efficacy fizzles. Topical steroids are the most common culprit of this phenomenon, although it may happen with other topical or systemic medication as well.
Psoralen Plus Ultraviolet A
For this treatment, you’ll first be given a tablet containing compounds called psoralens, or psoralen may be applied directly to the skin. This makes your skin more sensitive to light.
Your skin is then exposed to a wavelength of light called ultraviolet A . This light penetrates your skin more deeply than ultraviolet B light.
This treatment may be used if you have severe psoriasis that has not responded to other treatment.
Side effects include nausea, headaches, burning and itchiness. You may need to wear special glasses for 24 hours after taking the tablet to prevent the development of cataracts.
Long-term use of this treatment is not encouraged, as it can increase your risk of developing skin cancer.
Also Check: What Oil Is Good For Psoriasis
Who Can And Cannot Use Hydrocortisone Skin Treatments
Most adults and children aged 10 years and over can use hydrocortisone skin treatments.
Do not use hydrocortisone skin treatments on children under 10 years old unless their doctor recommends it.
Hydrocortisone is not suitable for some people. Tell your pharmacist or doctor before starting the medicine if you:
- have ever had an allergic reaction to hydrocortisone or any other medicine
- have a skin infection or eye infection
- are trying to get pregnant, are already pregnant or you’re breastfeeding
What Are Topical Corticosteroids
Topical corticosteroids are recommended as a treatment for atopic dermatitis flares. Corticosteroids are available in a range of potency, with more potent medications being available only by prescription. The topical corticosteroids that are available over-the-counter are milder. Topical corticosteroids that are available OTC range from 0.5 percent to 1.0 percent hydrocortisone. However, using OTC medications still has some risks. All medications, including those available OTC, may interact with other drugs, supplements, or foods. It is important to tell your doctor about any and all medications you are using.1,2
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of White Spots From Psoriasis
Do I Need To Use A Special Sunscreen If I Have Psoriasis
You dont necessarily need to use special sunscreen but wearing sun protection is important. Long sleeves and clothing with a UPF protection rating can come in handy.
If you have a flare-up or actively inflamed skin, sunscreen may irritate your skin further. In these instances, it may be best to avoid sun exposure or to wear clothing that protects your skin from the suns rays.
When flare-ups are managed, a sun blocker that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide may be your safest bet. Always use a sunscreen that has at least SPF 30.
If you take a medication for psoriasis, such as methotrexate or acitretin, you may have heightened sensitivity to the sun, increasing your need for protection.
All The Details On Over The Counter Psoriasis Creams And Shampoos
The three main types of over the counter options typically recommended for psoriasis are creams and shampoos that contain either: Salicylic acid Hydrocortisone Coal tarIT is also possible to buy vitamin D creams over the counter, although it is not clear they are absorbed as well as the form found in prescription vitamin D creams.
How Do Topical Steroid Creams Work
Topical steroid creams are anti-inflammatory medicines which means they reduce redness and inflammation caused by eczema and other skin conditions.
When your body suffers from an allergic reaction or irritation , it releases inflammatory chemicals in response. These chemicals make blood vessels widen and cause the skin to become inflamed, swollen, and itchy. This can lead to your skin feeling very dry and painful, as well as looking red and irritated.
Topical steroid creams inhibit the bodys natural response by preventing cells from releasing large amounts of these inflammatory chemicals.
This makes topical steroid creams one of the most effective ways to help treat and control the symptoms of eczema and other skin problems.
How Long To Use It For
Most people only need to use hydrocortisone skin treatments for a short time. Stop as soon as your skin is better. Sometimes you only need to use the skin treatments for a few days.
For insect bites and stings, nappy rash or contact dermatitis you’ll probably only need to use a skin cream for up to 1 week.
If you buy hydrocortisone from a pharmacy or shop, do not use it for more than 1 week without talking to your doctor.
Read Also: How Do Doctors Diagnose Psoriasis
Where To Purchase Steroids
Buying Steroids online is commonplace now and also if the site is official there shouldnt be any problems. When you find the item, location it in your purchasing cart and pay through bank card, PayPal or whatever alternative they provide. Reputable sellers always supply assistance for Visa, MasterCard, as well as various other prominent credit cards, so the purchase will be smooth.
Prior to you position an order for Steroids, seek information concerning the shipment time and the expense of shipping. Delivering cost is specifically vital because it can make a big difference in regards to overall price. If delivery is cost-free thats even much better. Its additionally crucial that you discover the internet sites e-mail address so if theres a problem youll be able to call them.
If its your first time to purchase from the site, checked out the fine print so you dont get stunned by any additional charges. If the website provides complimentary shipping, is it limited just to particular locations and when your order gets to a certain amount or number? If you should have the items shipped worldwide check the price, although the good ones will offer a flat rate wherever you are.
Methotrexate : A Longer
Methotrexate , is a folic acid antagonist, meaning it blocks the action of folic acid. Methotrexate is often abbreviated “MTX”.
- Methotrexate comes as a once-weekly oral tablet or injection that suppresses the immune system and DNA synthesis to slow down skin cell turnover.
- MTX can be used long-term for moderate to severe psoriasis and for psoriatic arthritis, but results with MTX may not be seen for several months. Review MTX dosing here.
- Your doctor may also prescribe folic acid in addition to MTX to help lessen stomach and other side effects.
- MTX can be toxic to the liver and other organs lab monitoring will be needed.
MTX should NOT be used in women who are pregnant or planning a pregnancy men should also stop its use 3 months before conception. Use effective contraception during and after treatment with methotrexate.
- Effective birth control is recommended for females of reproductive potential during therapy and for at least 6 months after the final dose.
- Effective contraception is recommended for males with female partners of reproductive potential during therapy and for at least 3 months after the final dose of methotrexate.
Recommended Reading: Is Psoriasis And Psoriatic Arthritis Related
Can You Buy Topical Corticosteroids
You can buy some topical corticosteroids ‘over the counter’ without a prescription. For example, for dermatitis, you can buy the steroid cream called hydrocortisone 1% from your pharmacy. Do not apply this to your face unless your doctor has told you to do so. This is because it may trigger a skin condition affecting the face Long-term use may also damage the skin. On your face this would be more noticeable than the rest of your body. So usually only weak steroids are used on the face. Those which are suitable are prescription-only.
Be careful when using steroid creams that you have bought in a shop. They can make some conditions worse, not better. For example, athlete’s foot will get worse with steroids as will eczema herpeticum and perioral dermatitis.
You can also buy some steroid nose sprays to treat hay fever – for example, beclometasone nasal spray and fluticasone nasal spray.
Your pharmacist will discuss how to use them safely.
Treatments For Psoriasis: Where Do I Begin
Treatment can lessen the formation of the excessive skin cells and help to return your skin to a smoother appearance.
Treatments may include:
- prescription drugs that may be taken by mouth
- injectable medications can be used by the patient at home or given in the doctor’s office.
Don’t Miss: Plaque Psoriasis And Psoriatic Arthritis
Formulations Of Topical Steroid
Several formulations are available for topical steroids, intended to suit the type of skin lesion and its location. Creams and lotions are general purpose and are the most popular formulations.
- The most suitable formulation for dry, non-hairy skin
- No requirement for preservative, reducing risk of irritancy and contact allergy
- Occlusive, increasing risk of folliculitis and miliaria
Gel or solution
- Has an astringent effect
- Stings inflamed skin
As a general rule, use the weakest possible steroid that will do the job. It is often appropriate to use a potent preparation for a short time to ensure the skin condition clears completely.