Managing Psoriasis With Topical Treatments
What Is The Main Cause Of Psoriasis
As with many chronic skin issues eczema included the exact cause of psoriasis is not wholly understood. However, it is thought to be related to immune system function namely, its response to external aggressors, like infection and pollution, which prompt the attacking of healthy skin cells, and cause subsequent build up on the skin. Genetics play a big part and, if one of your family members has it, chances are you might too.
Of course, there are other reasons for psoriasis flare-ups, and many of them are a common part of everyday life: Stress is not a cause of the disease, but it can be a trigger in those who have an underlying tendency towards development of the condition, says Mahto. Other triggers for a flare-up include cold, dry weather conditions, smoking, alcohol, any injury to the skin and certain medications. Often diagnosed before the age of 35, it can also strike after that, and its a condition that moves to the beat of its own drum, flaring up and settling itself in a cyclical fashion.
Cerave Moisturizing Cream For Psoriasis Treatment
- Developed with dermatologists, CeraVe Psoriasis Skin Therapy Cleanser gently moisturizes skin that is moisturizing whilst repairing skins natural protective barrier with 3 key ceramides.
- Removes scales and dead skin and helps restore moisture.
- Helps prevent recurrence of these symptoms of psoriasis.
Recommended Reading: Mississippi Skin And Psoriasis Center Brandon Ms
Mia And Dom Skincare Line
There are two products youll want to keep in your purse or on your bathroom counter as a mainstay: Soothing Skin Serum and Soothing Skin Salve. The combination of tamanu and safflower oil in both the salve and serum encourages wound healing and promotes healthy skin while the rosehip seed oil acts as a skin healer.
What Are The Clinical Features Of Facial Psoriasis
Facial psoriasis has various clinical presentations. There are three main subtypes:
- Hairline psoriasis
- An extension of scalp psoriasis beyond the hairline onto facial skin
- Bright red, thickened plaques with variable white scale
Psoriasis affecting hairline
- Patchy involvement of the hairline
- Often affects the eyelids, eyebrows, nasolabial folds and beard area
- Salmon-pink, thin plaques with bran-like scale
- Usually associated with diffuse or patchy scalp psoriasis
- Psoriasis may or may not be present at other sites
- Sharply demarcated, red, scaly plaques
- May affect any part of the face
- Plaques tend to be symmetrical
- Associated with psoriasis at other sites including ears, genitals, scalp, elbows, knees, and trunk
- Soreness and skin sensitivity, which are usually mild
Read Also: Corn Huskers Lotion For Psoriasis
Top 10 Best Psoriasis Creams Reviews In 2021
Barbie in a Blender is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. This does not impact our suggestions.
A psoriasis cream is any cream, ointment or lotion thats applied to the skin to deal with the symptoms of psoriasis. If you have obtained a psoriasis diagnosis from a physician, you have likely received directions on what sorts of products to use and how to employ them.
There are lots of types of psoriasis cream available, therefore it is a fantastic idea to find out about the differences before you begin buying and using them.
Cerave Psoriasis Moisturizing Cream
CeraVe Psoriasis Moisturizing Cream contains lactic acid and salicylic acid, which gently exfoliate the skin to reduce flaking, scaling, and irritation.
The hydrating cream contains shea butter, urea, and ceramides to repair the skin barrier and lock in moisture. It helps alleviate redness, itching, and discomfort.
CeraVe developed this formula with dermatologists using patented technology that provides lasting hydration. The cream continues to release nourishing ingredients for up to 24 hours, making it great for people who dont have time to reapply moisturizer throughout the day.
One drawback of this cream is that it may be too harsh for sensitive skin. Several reviewers mention that it burned their skin. A few customers complain that the cream isnt thick or moisturizing enough to heal dry skin. Others mention that it doesnt absorb well, leaves a residue, and doesnt work well under makeup.
Read Also: The Best Lotion For Psoriasis
Best Natural: Ahava Dead Sea Body Mud
“Dead Sea mud has long been heralded as a healing treatment for a variety of skin concerns, including psoriasis, due to the high mineral content,”says Audrey Kunin, MD, a board-certified dermatologist and the founder of DERMAdoctor.
The creamy product contains vitamin E, Dead Sea minerals and a calming mandarin and cedarwood scent. It’s also vegan and paraben-free.
Buy it: Price: $29 for 12.3 oz
Best Budget: Gold Bond Ultimate Multi
Itchiness is one symptom of psoriasis, which is why this earns top points for helping to tamp down the itch. Plus, it also contains salicylic acidat a maximum, over-the-counter, 3% concentrationto help break down plaques and scale. And since it costs less than lunch, you can go ahead and slather it on with reckless abandon.
Specially formulated for extremely dry or even atopic skin, this a top pick for those who have to deal with both dryness and psoriasis. It offers a heavy hit of hydration immediately, but also has an exclusive complex that works to repair a damaged skin barrier. And psoriasis-sufferers will appreciate that it is formulated to ease itchiness.
Read Also: Cerave Sa Cream For Psoriasis
When To See A Doctor
If a person is uncertain about whether psoriasis or a different health condition is causing their symptoms, they should see a doctor.
A dermatologist, or skin specialist, will most commonly treat psoriasis. A primary care physician can refer a person to a dermatologist.
People should see their doctor about facial psoriasis symptoms when:
- areas on the face are painful or uncomfortable
- the discomfort makes it difficult to get through the day
- lesions are extending toward the eyes
- they have concerns about their skins appearance
- they are experiencing joint problems as well as facial lesions
Generally, people should see their doctor whenever their psoriasis is causing them problems or when they wish to discuss treatment options.
Medicated Creams For Psoriasis
Another important variety of psoriasis cream is the topical medicated treatment. These are products recommended for people with psoriasis either by a pharmacist or a doctor. You will often need a prescription to use the kinds of treatments below as they can be very potent.
The ingredients most commonly found in medicated psoriasis creams are:
- Topical corticosteroids
- Coal tar
These ingredients primarily work by reducing skin cell production, however they can also have an anti-inflammatory effect, which helps to reduce soreness and itching.
Medicated psoriasis creams should be applied directly to affected areas when youre experiencing a flare-up of symptoms. They are suited to cases of mild or moderate psoriasis, and vary in potency.
Also Check: Why Do You Get Psoriasis Later In Life
Avne Xeracalm Ad Lipid
Avène skin care products are created to treat various skin conditions, including psoriasis, eczema, and scars. The XeraCalm A.D Lipid-Replenishing Cream is formulated with thermal spring water to hydrate and soothe dry, irritated skin. It also helps reduce redness, itchiness, and inflammation.
The nourishing cream acts as an emollient to soften skin, lock in moisture, and strengthen the skin barrier. Its thick consistency is good for nighttime use, helping to balance and even out skin tone.
Avène XeraCalm A.D Lipid-Replenishing Cream is fragrance-free, though a few customers complain that the cream has an unpleasant smell. A few reviewers mention that the cream has a sticky texture and doesnt absorb well.
Cream For Psoriasis Anti Itch Treatment To Relieve Psoriasis Symptoms Like Dry Patches Flakes Rash And Scales
- Among the most tenacious and baffling skin ailments, psoriasis is due to skin cells which multiply 10 times quicker than usual.
- This makes an overabundance of dead skin that builds up and contributes to bothersome elevated red plaques.
- In an effort to create this skin ailment simpler to cure, pHat 5.5 has generated an assortment of products to heal psoriasis symptoms utilizing only natural ingredients.
- Soothing Natural and Organic Ingredients to permit your scalp and skin to rejuvenate.
- Promotes healthy skin and assists with plaque, guttate, loma lux psoriasis in addition to cracking, peeling, split or rough dry scalp and skin stains.
- PH Balanced at 5.5 like your hair and skin to prevent skin irritation and psoriasis flare ups
Recommended Reading: Mejores Cremas Para La Psoriasis
What Is Facial Psoriasis
Facial psoriasis is a chronic skin condition in which there are one or more, persistent, thickened, red and dry patches on the face.
Psoriasis is a common chronic inflammatory skin disease that may affect any skin site. Facial involvement occurs at some time in about half those affected by psoriasis. Although it is usually mild, facial psoriasis is occasionally very extensive involving the hairline, forehead, neck, ears and facial skin.
It is extremely rare to have psoriasis occurring solely on the face. Most patients also have scalp psoriasis and they may also have moderate to severe psoriasis at other sites.
Patients with facial psoriasis often suffer from psychosocial problems due to the presence of unsightly red, scalyplaques on highly visible areas.
Facial involvement presents as a therapeutic challenge because facial skin is thin, sensitive and more complicated to treat.
Home Remedies For Facial Psoriasis
At-home self-care is about the basics — trying not to scratch affected areas, avoiding the things that seem to trigger flare-ups, using cold compresses and moisturizer to soothe affected areas , and keeping up with your treatment.
No supplements or herbal remedies have been proven to treat psoriasis on the face or any other part of the body.
Recommended Reading: Best Moisturizer For Scalp Psoriasis
Do I Need To Use A Special Sunscreen If I Have Psoriasis
You dont necessarily need to use special sunscreen but wearing sun protection is important. Long sleeves and clothing with a UPF protection rating can come in handy.
If you have a flare-up or actively inflamed skin, sunscreen may irritate your skin further. In these instances, it may be best to avoid sun exposure or to wear clothing that protects your skin from the suns rays.
When flare-ups are managed, a sun blocker that contains zinc oxide or titanium dioxide may be your safest bet. Always use a sunscreen that has at least SPF 30.
If you take a medication for psoriasis, such as methotrexate or acitretin, you may have heightened sensitivity to the sun, increasing your need for protection.
Be Well Tea Tree Salve
If theres one product you want to keep with you at all times to help with anything from your psoriasis flares to insect bites, its the Be Well Tea Tree Salve. The salve is toxin-free, organic, and made from nature-derived ingredients. It is also free from parabens, preservatives, chemicals, alcohol, and cruelty.
Don’t Miss: Guttate Psoriasis Vs Pityriasis Rosea
Aveeno Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream
To buy: $15 walgreens.com
Your doctor might recommend one of several eczema treatments that may also help with psoriasis symptoms. Aveeno products are at the top of the list in that category, Dr. Yamauchi says. “Look for one made with ceramides, which are lipids that help hydrate the skin better,” he says.
How To Create The Best Psoriasis Lotion Routine
Now that youve got the right products, heres what to do with them:
- Dont overcleanse. Many with psoriasis can benefit from cleansing just once a day to avoid overdrying. Ask a derm and follow the instructions on your products to figure out whats best for you, but twice is def enough.
- Moisturize morning and night. Twice daily moisturizing is typically ideal if you have psoriasis, but follow your product instructions as directed. If youre cleansing just once a day, you can rinse your face with just water before moisturizing a second time.
- Skip the toner. Lots of peeps rave about toners, but they can really irritate and dry out psoriasis-prone skin. One less thing to buy, amirite?
- Just say no to the loofah. Avoid scrubbing skin with a flare-up, as it may worsen symptoms. Though some exfoliation is good, the ingredients in your products will get the job done in a gentler manner. Try a soft cloth instead.
- Lay it on thicker in harsher conditions. A heavier hydrating cream may be needed to get you through a cold, dry winter than the summer. Though this tip can serve anyone, those with psoriasis can especially benefit.
- Bathe smart. Since hot water can be drying, avoid cranking up the heat in the shower. Lightly pat your skin dry when you hop out . Moisturizing right away is ideal to lock in water content.
Also Check: Psoriasis Is It An Autoimmune Disease
Otc Treatments And Home Remedies
In addition to using steroids, rinsing the facial skin with a saline solution can also help reduce discomfort and pain.
Available OTC treatments include:
- tazarotene cream or gel, an off-label treatment that currently has approval for treating acne
- UV light, which a person should only use under a doctors supervision
If psoriasis affects the skin around the eyes, a doctor will advise taking great care when applying medications to the area. This is because many OTC psoriasis treatments can cause damage to the eyes that may lead to the development of glaucoma or cataracts.
That said, doctors sometimes recommend two off-label eczema treatments that may work especially well for treating psoriasis on the face.
These medications are unlikely to cause glaucoma. However, using them may lead to uncomfortable side effects, such as a stinging sensation.
In addition to using these topical medications, there are several precautions a person can take to reduce irritation as much as possible. These include:
- using gentle, non-soap cleansers to keep the skin clean
- applying moisturizers often
- regularly putting on sunscreen to reduce the effects of UV radiation
Practicing frequent and thorough self-care can help a person control their facial psoriasis as much as possible.
Using Psoriasis Creams Correctly
The main rule for using medicated psoriasis creams is to apply them exactly as directed by your pharmacist or doctor. You can also consult the patient information leaflet supplied with the product if you cant find this, you can search for the product on the Medicines.org website and read the leaflet online.
Medicated creams and ointments tend to work better when the skin is soft and moisturised, so its a good idea to use your topical treatment after applying an emollient.
When applying emollients you should smooth a large amount of product gently into the skin, in the direction your hair grows. If you rub it in too vigorously this can aggravate the skin and make your symptoms worse.
After applying your emollient you should wait around 30 minutes for it to sink into the skin. At this point you can carefully apply your medicated ointment or cream.
Also Check: What Does Psoriasis Of The Ear Look Like
Best For Legs: Cerave Sa Cream For Rough & Bumpy Skin
Another one of Birnbaums go-to’s, this also contains salicylic acid, great for reducing those pesky plaques. The addition of lactic acid further boosts its exfoliating prowess, making it a good choice to use on legs to help knock out not only psoriasis, but general scaliness, shaving bumps, and more.
What Is Flexural Psoriasis
Flexural psoriasisFlexural psoriasispsoriasisinverse psoriasis
. Keeping this in view, how is flexural psoriasis treated?
Treatments & Remedies for Inverse Psoriasis
Additionally, can inverse psoriasis go away? “It doesn’t ever completely go away,” Beck said. The most common type of psoriasis in the genital area is inverse psoriasis . It usually appears as smooth, dry, red lesions.
Secondly, what does inverse psoriasis look like?
Inverse psoriasis is known for its red, shiny, smooth rash. Unlike the scales, pustular spots, and crusting skin associated with other forms of psoriasis, the rash caused by inverse psoriasis is neither raised nor dry. Inflamed patches of skin are sometimes moist to the touch.
What is the main cause of psoriasis?
Psoriasis is caused, at least in part, by the immune system mistakenly attacking healthy skin cells. If you’re sick or battling an infection, your immune system will go into overdrive to fight the infection. This might start another psoriasis flare-up. Strep throat is a common trigger.
Also Check: Can Psoriasis Cause Heart Problems