What Medications Or Treatments Are Used To Treat Scalp Psoriasis
Your healthcare provider may prescribe the following as a cream, lotion or gel to treat mild cases of scalp psoriasis:
In more severe or widespread cases of scalp psoriasis, your healthcare provider may prescribe:
- Medicine injections. Your healthcare provider will use a thin needle to inject medicine into your skin, a vein in your arm or directly into your plaques. These medicines may include adalimumab, etanercept or ustekinumab.
- Oral medicines. Oral medicines are pills or tablets you swallow with water. These medicines may include acitretin, cyclosporine or methotrexate.
- . Phototherapy uses ultraviolet light , usually ultraviolet B , from special lamps. The ultraviolet light waves in sunlight can help certain skin disorders, including scalp psoriasis.
Treating scalp psoriasis may be difficult. Your body is unique, and it might not respond to certain treatments. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best treatment for you.
So What Cant Coconut Oil Do
Still working on this one! As if all the above uses werent enough, studies have linked coconut oil to the following health benefits:
- High lauric acid content can help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. It doesnt increase LDL and helps keep arteries flexible and prevent atherosclerosis
- Studies show that coconut oil may help increase thyroid health because of its unique combination of nourishing properties and the fact that it travels directly to the liver without the need for hormones or enzymes in digestion
- Coconut oil can help boost metabolism. Since it travels directly to the liver, it is used for energy and not stored as fat. It also helps a feeling of satiety and can assist in weight loss.
- Can increase bone strength by allowing better absorption of calcium, vitamin D, and other minerals
- Its antifungal properties have been shown to help reduce candida and yeast in the body and fight yeast infections
- Can help fight infection and flu due to its antibacterial, antiviral, and antimicrobial properties
What other coconut oil uses have I forgotten? Share your favorites below!
This article was medically reviewed by Dr. Scott Soerries, MD, Family Physician and Medical Director of SteadyMD. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.
Does Psoriasis Create Mental Disorder
In the initial research, Danish scientists accumulated information on greater than 13,600 males and females with psoriasis. Over 5 years of follow-up, 2.6% established psychological issues, and also over one decade, that number increased to almost 5%. These problems consisted of clinical depression, anxiousness, bipolar illness, schizophrenia and also mental deterioration.
Also Check: How To Get Psoriasis Under Control
What Can I Drink For Psoriasis
Take dietary supplements Dietary supplements may help ease psoriasis symptoms from the inside. Fish oil, vitamin D, milk thistle, aloe vera, Oregon grape, and evening primrose oil have all been reported to help ease mild symptoms of psoriasis, according to the National Psoriasis Foundation.12 Ways to Treat Psoriasis at Home Healthline
Coconut Oil And Your Skin
When you put VCO on your skin, it can help hold in moisture, ease redness and swelling, and keep certain bacteria from growing. Studies show VCO can help with symptoms of eczema , a skin condition that looks a lot like psoriasis.
Eczema and psoriasis share many of the same symptoms and even have some of the same triggers. Psoriasis scales tend to be thicker than patches of eczema, but both need moisturizing treatment to help with dryness, scaling, and itching. So even though they’re different conditions, VCO can help with both.
Recommended Reading: Does Psoriasis Affect The Face
How Do I Store And/or Throw Out Fluocinolone Oil
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Fluocinolone Topical Oil Derma
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives difficult breathing swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have severe irritation of any treated skin, or if you show signs of absorbing fluocinolone topical oil through your skin, such as:
- blurred vision, headache
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Donât Miss: What Cream Is Used For Psoriasis
Also Check: Best Steroid Cream For Psoriasis
Is Coconut Oil Good For Psoriasis
If you are in a dilemma as to whether it is suitable to use coconut oil for your psoriasis, you can go through the reasons given below for assurance.
- Coconut oil has naturally occurring antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it the best possible solution to the dryness and infections that occur due to psoriasis.
- It is rich in lauric acid capric and caprylic acid. These beneficial fatty acids are powerful antifungal agents that soften the skin.
- Being anti-inflammatory in nature, it soothes the inflammation caused by psoriasis and reduces the pain.
The Best And Safest Treatment Available
Tens of thousands of men and women in more than 176 countries have naturally got rid of Psoriasis and are now Psoriasis free. The best part is, they did it without drugs, over the counters and without creams or any side effects
How did they do it? They used a scientifically proven and real-world tested program thats been sweeping the Internet called, Psoriasis Revolution.
What Makes This Psoriasis Breakthrough So Exciting is That it Gives You The Power To
Psoriasis Revolution is a 250-page downloadable e-book, jam-packed cover to cover with all the secret Psoriasis cure methods and unique powerful techniques, and the step-by-step holistic Psoriasis system Ive discovered in over 14 years of Psoriasis research. This program contains all the information youll ever need to eliminate your Psoriasis permanently without topical corticosteroids, de-pigmentation or UV therapy and without any side effects.
There are NO gimmicks in this program there are no magic pills, or drugs to buy and no hidden agendas just the FACTS you need to know to get rid of Psoriasis quickly and naturally. Its great news that someone has finally released an effective Psoriasis program based on the truth, but this also means that you have to ask if this is the right program for you:
To learn more about the Psoriasis Revolution system and to find out how YOU can start re-balancing your body today and start the path to becoming Psoriasis free, visit the Psoriasis Revolution
Recommended Reading: Does Plaque Psoriasis Ever Go Away
What Is The Very Best Beverage For Psoriasis
The most effective method to handle PsA signs and also protect against problems is with medicine suggested by your medical professional. You might likewise desire to take into consideration making modifications to your diet plan, for example, the drinks you consume alcohol. The most effective beverages for PsA consist of environment-friendly tea, coffee, and also ordinary water.
What Is The Difference Between Scalp Psoriasis And Dandruff
Dandruff is a skin condition that affects your scalp. Its itchy, white or yellow flakes on your scalp. Medical researchers arent sure of the exact cause of dandruff, but they think factors may include:
- A yeast called Malassezia that overgrows on your skin.
- An increased level of androgens.
- An increased level of skin lipids.
- An inflammatory reaction.
Scalp psoriasis is an autoimmune disease.
Read Also: Is A& d Ointment Good For Psoriasis
Miracle Salve With Free Printable Labels
You guys! I cant believe its taken me so long to tell you about my homemade miracle salve recipe. I was just making it for Christmas presents and it dawned on me that I never told you about it. What was I thinking?! You need to know about this stuff.
This salve is seriously the best. I cant say enough good things about it. It will soothe and heal the driest of dry, cracked, chapped and scaly skin. It really is like a miracle cream. Its one of those things you just have to try to believe and then youll realize why Im so crazy about it.
My grandmother swears by it. My friend, Danielle says its her go to cream to help her kidss eczema. My husband even loves it for his hands and his face in the winter. He tells me it works really well at protecting his face from windburn when he goes hunting.
It works wonders for dry hands and feet. Just rub some on your hands and feet before you go to bed, let the nourishing ingredients work their magic when you are sleeping and youll wake up with baby soft skin. Its that good. You can use this homemade salve for hands, feet, face, elbows, even lips! Heck, I even use it for my dogs paws. In the cold, harsh winter months when I need extra moisturizer to combat dry skin, I use it as my nightly face cream I love this stuff so much!
What Causes Psoriasis
Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease caused by genetic factors. Symptoms include red, scaly patches of skin. The skin condition most commonly appears on the elbows, knees, scalp, back, face, palms and feet of the body. It can take many different forms and may be quite severe.
The life of a skin cell is typically 2-3 weeks and changes with age. Skin regeneration is much quicker in infants and slows down with age ¹.
In psoriasis, the life cycle of your skin cells greatly accelerates. The cells multiply up to 10 times faster that those of normal skin. This leads to a buildup of old skin cells resulting in red, itchy, scaly patches of skin ².
Don’t Miss: Best Men’s Body Wash For Psoriasis
Why I Use Coconut Oil
I have psoriatic arthritis with mild plaque psoriasis and, since my experimentation with coconut oil, only gotten milder, sometimes completely disappearing if the circumstances are right. Even if I stray from the path of healthy lifestyle interventions, coconut oil softens my spots and reduces itching and redness.
After a tub or shower, I slather on coconut oil with abandon. I buy it at a local discount store if you ever visit Rhode Island, stop by Ocean State Job Lot for the coconut oil and stay for aisles upon aisles of quirky finds for less than $5 per tub. And I buy the best quality stuff: cold-pressed, pure extra virgin organic coconut oil. Refined coconut oil, while odorless and tasteless, is treated with heat and sent through a bleaching clay, which can kill off beneficial proteins and minerals.
How To Choose The Best Coconut Oil For The Face
“Not all coconut oils are created equal,” says Wong. Meaning, you don’t want to pick up a regular kitchen-grade oil and smear it on the delicate skin of your face.
At the very least, look for unrefined , organic coconut oil. According to board-certified dermatologist Jessie Cheung, M.D., founder of Cheung Aesthetics and Wellness, this means it’s made from fresh coconut and is able to retain the antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits. You may also want to look for brands that are fair-trade certified and non-GMO.
However, reaching for a virgin version may depend on your skin type: Virgin coconut oil is solid at room temperature and has a much heavier weight. That’s why, according to Blake, it can sit on the skin and clog pores.
Rather, if you have any fractionated coconut oil on hand , it can penetrate the skin more easily and may lead to fewer breakouts.
“Compared to raw coconut oil, which can feel oddly greasy and dry on the skin, fractionated coconut oil soaks in quickly and does not leave an oily feeling on the surface of the skin,” natural skin care expert Sarah Villafranco, M.D., founder of Osmia Organics, tells us about the types of coconut oil. Of course, sourcing is still importantno matter the type of oil, make sure it’s certified to USDA-standards.
Can You Have Lupus And Also Psoriasis
Psoriasis and also lupus are both autoimmune problems that can influence individualss skin. Although they share some signs, they are different problems. It is feasible for an individual to have both lupus and also psoriasis, or psoriatic joint inflammation. The therapies and also problems are various for each and every condition.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
The gold standard for olive oil but not coconut oil. This is produced by cold-pressing the oil and does not preserve the antioxidants as well:
In 2013, a study that compared cold extracted virgin coconut oil with hot extracted virgin coconut oil and standard refined coconut oil was conducted in India, and . This study, like many others, showed that virgin coconut oils actually lower LDL cholesterol, while raising the good HDL cholesterol.
This study also confirmed that virgin coconut oil produced with heat produced the highest amounts of antioxidants: The antioxidant activity in the HEVCO group was 80-87%, 65-70% in CEVCO, and 35-45% in CCO. The researchers went on to comment why heat is necessary to produce the highest amounts of antioxidants in virgin coconut oil.
Also Check: What Causes Psoriasis Of The Liver
Coconut Oil With Lavender Oil And Frankincense Oil
Lavender oil contains sedative properties which provide relief from stress â a potential psoriasis trigger. Frankincense oil contains antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Combine 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 3 drops each of lavender oil and frankincense oil.
- Rub the mixture on the psoriasis affected areas.
- Leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the process regularly.
- Alternatively, you can use Melrose essential oil instead of frankincense oil.
Psoriasis On The Eyelid: Symptoms And Treatment
Psoriasis on the eyelid is a type of facial psoriasis that is usually caused by sebopsoriasis. Facial psoriasis is often associated with other types of psoriasis that also affect various areas of the body. These include:
- Plaque psoriasis
- Inverse psoriasis
- Erythrodermic psoriasis
Psoriasis is an immune system disorder that causes inflammation of skin cells and can occur anywhere on the body. Approximately 10 percent of people with psoriasis have involvement with their eyes, including the eyelids. Psoriasis affecting the eyelids or eyes is considered rare. Other conditions associated with psoriasis can cause eyelid irritation and may resemble psoriasis.
MyPsoriasisTeam members frequently discuss their experiences with psoriasis on the eyelid, which can be distressing. My facial psoriasis is playing up today. Itchy eyelids are no fun, a member said. I have developed a plaque on my eyelid! one member wrote. I had really hoped my face would not be affected.
Recommended Reading: Psoriasis Treatment Injections Side Effects
Coconut Oil With Apple Cider Vinegar
As per National Psoriasis Foundation, the disinfectant properties of apple cider vinegar ease the itching, dissolve the lose flakes, reduce the redness and swelling.
- Combine 2 parts of coconut oil and 1 part of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well and apply it on the psoriasis affected areas.
- Leave the mask for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse with water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process 2 times in a day.
For extra benefits: You can also add 2 parts of honey into it.
Peppermint Oil For Psoriasis
Peppermint oil may help most with any itching and pain you get in and around psoriasis patches. There are some 25 different species of peppermint with over 600 varieties. No matter what plant you use, the menthol in the oil is what gives peppermint its punch. This oil also tackles itching caused by anything from herpes blisters to scabies infestations.
In small doses, peppermint doesnt usually cause any side effects. Theres a slight chance of allergic reaction, so be on the lookout for any unusual signs and symptoms after application.
A popular home remedy involves combining one cup of distilled water with five to seven drops of peppermint essential oils in a spray bottle. You can spritz this mixture onto painful, itchy skin for soothing relief.
Read Also: Psoriasis On Top Of Foot
How Do I Manage My Symptoms
- Take any OTC or prescription medications and products as recommended by your healthcare provider, including antihistamines for severe itching.
- Bathe or shower in lukewarm not hot water. Limit the amount of time you spend in the water to under 15 minutes and apply moisturizers or emollients immediately after lightly toweling dry.
- Use conditioner every time you wash your hair to keep your scalp and hair moisturized.
- Gently comb your hair to avoid causing irritation.
- Moisturize your scalp or affected areas several times a day using a cream or ointment, including after your bath or shower.
- Avoid wearing hats or other headwear unless necessary you generally dont want to cover your plaques so your scalp can breathe.
Getting To Know The Options
Many oils for psoriasis have a variety of properties. Each essential oil has its own unique constitution and that gives you options. There are many different types of psoriasis and associated conditions, too. Understanding the properties of the oils can help you make an informed decision on how each oil can help you with your own unique needs. Lets explore the options by looking at why these are great essential oils to use for psoriasis:
Don’t Miss: How To Reduce Psoriasis Redness