Scalp Psoriasis And Hair Loss
Scalp psoriasis and hair loss is something many people with the condition worry about, but the condition itself does not lead to hair loss. With severe scalp psoriasis, heavy scratching, rubbing, and picking large scaly spots can cause temporary hair loss. The good news is that in the vast majority of cases, your hair grows back after scalp psoriasis clears.
Home Remedies To Try For Scalp Psoriasis
About 8 million Americans are affected with psoriasis, many of whom have the condition on their scalp, aptly called scalp psoriasis. Scalp psoriasis formation has no relation to our hair types or textures, so pretty much anyone can develop the condition. Mild to moderate symptoms may include fine, powdery flakes, and scales, while more severe cases can include plaques, which are raised, scaly patches of skin.
On lighter skin, these plaques appear red and silver on darker skin, plaques appear purple, grey, or dark brown. The condition can cause itchiness, inflammation, and discomfort, and the temptation to scratch might lead to infection or hair loss.
Managing scalp psoriasis involves some trial and error, as you find the over-the-counter shampoo or topical that works for you, without causing further irritation. A board-certified dermatologist can also prescribe medicated formulas, oral treatments, or administer a laser if you’re not seeing an improvement from home remedies, if you would prefer to go that route.
Ahead, we offer solutions for managing scalp psoriasis with home remedies, so you can get relief fast!
Ways To Relieve Itchy Psoriasis
Many people say that the itch is the most bothersome of all their psoriasis symptoms. To relieve the itch, dermatologists give their patients the following eight tips:
Treat your psoriasis. The best way to get rid of the itch is to treat psoriasis
Remove scale. Less scale often means less itchiness. Removing scale can also improve the results you get from itch-relieving products.To remove scale, you want to use medicine like salicylic acid. This helps soften the scale, so you can gently brush it away. Pulling scale off can worsen psoriasis.
Limit shower time. Limit showers to 5 minutes and baths to 15 minutes or less. Spending too much time in the water can dry your skin, which can worsen the itch.
Use moisturizer. Applying a moisturizing cream or ointment after every hand washing, bath, and shower helps to seal much-needed moisture into your skin. Moisturizer helps reduce the redness and the itch. It also helps your skin heal.
Try an itch-relieving product. You can buy many of these without a prescription. Once that contains menthol, or camphor tends to work best for itchy psoriasis.Some of these products can irritate your skin or make it drier. Using a moisturizer helps reduce the dryness.
Moisturize instead of scratch. Grab your moisturizer when you have the urge to scratch. Instead of scratching, gently apply moisturizer to the itchy skin.
Skip hot baths. Skip hot baths and showers. The heat can make you more itchy.
You May Like: Uvb Light For Psoriasis For Sale
Treatment For Scalp Psoriasis
Your dermatologist can treat mild scalp psoriasis with topical medications. For more stubborn cases, oral or injectable treatments are also effective but may have side effects including increased infections.
At UCLA Dermatology, our specialists may recommend one or more of the following:
- Topical medications applied to the scalp, such as tar shampoos and steroid sprays, creams and solutions
- Medicated shampoos
How To Choose A Shampoo For Scalp Psoriasis
Still unsure how to pick the right shampoo for your hair and scalp? Heres what to consider:
- Severity of your symptoms. If youre experiencing a mild to medium case of scalp psoriasis, start with an OTC shampoo. If you have a severe case, or if OTC products dont seem to help, you may need to see your doctor for a prescription shampoo.
- Consider your hair type. Check the ingredients list before you make a purchase, especially if you have dry, curly, color treated, or fine hair. Some shampoos may contain drying ingredients, like sulfates, while others may be too heavy for fine hair.
- Do your research. If you didnt see a shampoo on this list you want to try, no worries! There are many shampoos out there that will work great for you. Just look for key ingredients, like salicylic acid or coal tar, and be sure to check reviews to see what others with scalp psoriasis have to say about it.
Read Also: Natural Remedies For Eczema And Psoriasis
Try An Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
A home remedy to combat itchiness involves applying an apple cider vinegar rinse. Apple cider vinegar may help reduce itchiness associated with scalp psoriasis. Dilute the apple cider vinegar with water, apply to the scalp, and rinse the skin thoroughly to prevent irritation. You’ll be able to see results in several weeks. Use up to a few times per week. Please take the aforementioned precautions when using this home remedy, and also note that people experiencing cracked or bleeding skin should not use apple cider vinegar at all.
Ways To Get Rid Of Scalp Psoriasis
Psoriasis can attack anyone regardless of gender, it is not dangerous, but its very annoying and will ruin your appearance. This article discusses the best ways to eliminate scalp psoriasis, one of the most common types of psoriasis. This problem is due to abnormality that happens within the immune system.
Whenever the immune system sends a faulty signal, skin cells multiply these excess skin cells then pile up on the skins surface, most commonly on the scalp, causing psoriasis on the scalp. Although it can grow somewhere else, the forehead is the second most common cause. Here are ten effective ways to get rid of scalp psoriasis.
You May Like: What Causes Psoriasis On Your Scalp
Make Time For Afternoon Tea
Tea tree oil isnt messing around. This strong antimicrobial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory oil can treat scalp psoriasis when paired with a carrier oil .
Dont go nuts with this one. Start with just a drop or two and see how your skin reacts. Also, if youre pregnant, breastfeeding, have linear IgA disease, or are taking the antibiotic vancomycin, then this oil is not for you.
What Questions Should I Ask My Healthcare Provider
- How can you tell that I have scalp psoriasis?
- If I dont have scalp psoriasis, what other skin condition might I have?
- How can I prevent flare-ups and control my symptoms?
- What medicines do you recommend?
- Do the medicines have any side effects?
- What at-home treatments do you recommend?
- Do the at-home treatments have any side effects?
- What else can I do to improve my symptoms?
- Is there a shampoo, cream or ointment you can prescribe?
Also Check: Will Vitamin C Make Psoriasis Worse
What Is The Difference Between Scalp Psoriasis And Dandruff
Dandruff is a skin condition that affects your scalp. Its itchy, white or yellow flakes on your scalp. Medical researchers arent sure of the exact cause of dandruff, but they think factors may include:
- A yeast called Malassezia that overgrows on your skin.
- An increased level of androgens.
- An increased level of skin lipids.
- An inflammatory reaction.
Scalp psoriasis is an autoimmune disease.
Apple Cider Vinegar Can Relieve Psoriasis Itch
Thanks to its anti-bacterial properties, apple cider vinegar has the ability to ease the irritation of everything from bug bites to blisters. When it comes to your scalp, apple cider vinegar can help relieve the itch associated with psoriasis.
Try it by saturating your scalp with a mixture of 1 to 2 parts water and 1 part vinegar several times a week for 10 minutes but dont try this at-home treatment if you have cracked or bleeding skin.
Use a comb to gently remove scales once theyve plumped up from the moisture, then shampoo and rinse as usual. You can also use the same apple cider vinegar rinse to remove dulling product buildup. Be sure to follow up with a deep conditioner to prevent your hair from drying out.
Also Check: How Do You Get Rid Of Scalp Psoriasis
Dries Fast & Reduces The Itch
If youre someone who has thick hair, you will appreciate how long it takes for your hair to dry after a shower. You could blow dry it, but Ive always found this to irritate my scalp more. Because of this, I like to let my hair dry naturally, which takes a lifetime.
I also mentioned that when I have long hair, I like to pull it back, which leaves a sweet spot right behind my ponytail that takes more than 24 hours to dry. Uncoincidentally, my psoriasis is super itchy in this one spot.
Areas of my scalp that are damp all day get itchy, so short hair solves that problem too!
What To Do For Infection
If your scalp psoriasis becomes infected, you may have crusting, redness, warmth, tenderness, and sometimes swelling of your lymph nodes. Your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic treatment for this problem.
National Psoriasis Foundation: “Specific locations: scalp,” “Scalp Psoriasis,” and “Over-the-Counter Topicals,” “Traditional systemic medications,” “Moderate to severe psoriasis: Biologic drugs.”
Handa, S. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology, 2010.
Skin Therapy Letter: “Treatments for Scalp Psoriasis with Emphasis on Calcipotriol Plus Betamethasone Dipropionate Gel .”
Read Also: Guttate Psoriasis On Black Skin
How Do I Manage My Symptoms
- Take any OTC or prescription medications and products as recommended by your healthcare provider, including antihistamines for severe itching.
- Bathe or shower in lukewarm not hot water. Limit the amount of time you spend in the water to under 15 minutes and apply moisturizers or emollients immediately after lightly toweling dry.
- Use conditioner every time you wash your hair to keep your scalp and hair moisturized.
- Gently comb your hair to avoid causing irritation.
- Moisturize your scalp or affected areas several times a day using a cream or ointment, including after your bath or shower.
- Avoid wearing hats or other headwear unless necessary you generally dont want to cover your plaques so your scalp can breathe.
How We Chose The Best Shampoos For Scalp Psoriasis
To create this list, we looked mainly for products that contain salicylic acid and coal tar to target scalp psoriasis. These are two ingredients recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology Association .
Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid thats often used as an exfoliant. It helps soften and break down plaques and scales for easier removal. Removing the plaques should help ease symptoms, like itching, burning, and irritation.
Coal tar is derived from black coal, and, according to the AAD, has been used to treat psoriasis for over 100 years. It helps pump the brakes to make sure the skin cells on your scalp arent growing too fast and building up. Still, coal tar can be drying and can stain.
We also included shampoos with other research-backed ingredients, like selenium sulfide.
Finally, we looked at reviews from customers with scalp psoriasis to determine the effectiveness of each one.
Read Also: Otc Salicylic Acid For Psoriasis
Systemic Treatments And Uv Light
If you have moderate to severe psoriasis elsewhere on your body, one of these medications may help:
- Methotrexateslows an enzyme involved in the rapid growth of skin cells.
- Oral retinoids help control the growth of cells.
- Cyclosporinelowers the immune system function, and therefore helps to reduce the inflammation of psoriasis.
- Biologics target specific parts of the immune system that are overactive in psoriasis.
Talk with your doctor about the potential side effects of these treatments.
Ultraviolet light is another treatment option. Hair can block the light from reaching your scalp, so if you have thick hair, it may help to part it in rows. Hand-held devices can directly deliver light to your scalp.
Yoga For Psoriasis Treatment
Psoriasis can occur due to stress, and stress can happen due to psoriasis flares ups. Managing stress can provide you relief from psoriasis. Stress can affect your body in many ways, including increasing inflammation. Inflammation can also cause psoriasis, or make this disease more serious if you already have one.
Yoga is the best way to manage stress and there are many yoga asanas which you can perform at home. Perform below yoga to get rid of psoriasis. You can watch videos of all yoga asana at youtube.
Psoriasis is a skin disease that occurs because of the overgrowth of skin cells. This can be a very serious health condition and long-lasting. The exact cause of this problem is yet to find but mainly it occurs because of malfunction of the immunity system. Follow the above Home remedies to get rid of Psoriasis from the neck, feet, hand, and other parts of the body. If you have any other home remedy which we forget mention write in the comment box below.
Read Also: Beginning Stages Of Scalp Psoriasis
Recommended Reading: How Can I Cure My Psoriasis
Some Useful Tips For You
Here are some of the useful tips for you that will help you to get rid of psoriasis on scalp completely and faster. These tips should be followed every day, no matter what! These are
- Always stay hydrated and thus you have to drink plenty of water. Also make sure that you are keeping your scalp hydrated by massaging it with coconut oil or castor oil or olive oil.
- While you are treating this condition, you have to stay away from perfumes and also make sure that you are not using dyes. These things can only make the skin problem worse.
- Avoid using hair dandruff controlling shampoos. These shampoos will dehydrate your scalp causing more itchiness and scaling effect.
- Maintain a proper diet with plenty of oil, omega-3 acids and full of fresh vegetables and fruits. Maintaining a proper diet is very important in order to make sure that your skin and hair are in perfect condition. Otherwise, problems are common.
- Take essential precautions while going out on sun. The sun can cause a lot of damage to scalp as it makes it dry. If you are already affected with psoriasis make sure that you are using hat or umbrella to protect it from sun.
What Is Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a type of vinegar made from apples that have been crushed, distilled, and fermented. In the fermentation process, yeast digests the natural sugars in apples, converting them into alcohol. This alcohol is then turned into acetic acid, which gives ACV its sourness, via a bacteria known as acetobacter.
The combination of yeast and bacteria formed during fermentation is known as the mother. Strands of this probiotic can be seen floating around in a bottle of unfiltered ACV. Along with probiotics, ACV contains nutrients and plant-based antioxidants. The nutrients, probiotics, and acetic acid are said to be responsible for the potential health benefits of apple cider vinegar.
Also Check: Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Psoriasis
More Than Skin Troubles
A 2017 study from the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that people with psoriasis that covers 10% of their body or more are 64% more likely than those without psoriasis to develop type 2 diabetes. About 30% of people with psoriasis also might develop psoriatic arthritis, which causes destructive inflammation in your joints, says dermatologist Dr. Gideon Smith. Psoriasis also may signal a higher risk for fatty liver disease and heart attacks.
What Causes Scalp Psoriasis
Scalp and other forms of psoriasis occur when the immune system doesnt work properly. Skin cells grow too quickly, growing within days rather than weeks. The body cant shed these skin cells quickly enough to match the new growth. They pile up on the skins surface, causing psoriasis.
People with family members who have scalp psoriasis are more likely to have the condition themselves. Those with HIV, stress, obesity, and those who smoke are also more likely than others to have this condition.
Common triggers that set off or worsen flare-ups of scalp psoriasis include:
- infections, including strep throat or skin infections
- skin injuries, such as cuts, scrapes, insect bites, or severe sunburn
Recommended Reading: Over The Counter Treatment For Psoriasis On Scalp
Steroid Creams Or Ointments
Steroid creams or ointments are commonly used to treat mild to moderate psoriasis in most areas of the body. The treatment works by reducing inflammation. This slows the production of skin cells and reduces itching.
Topical corticosteroids range in strength from mild to very strong. Only use them when recommended by your doctor.
Stronger topical corticosteroids can be prescribed by your doctor and should only be used on small areas of skin or on particularly thick patches. Overusing topical corticosteroids can lead to skin thinning.
Tips For Managing Scalp Psoriasis
The following tips can help people to manage scalp psoriasis:
Seek treatment: A health professional can provide a topical ointment or oral medication that will help manage symptoms and itchiness.
Treat the scalp gently: People with this condition should avoid washing and combing the hair vigorously, as this can lead to breakage, especially if the hair is fragile due to treatment.
Avoid scratching: Scratching can lead to bleeding and possibly an infection.
Moisturize: Keeping the scalp moist will not cure psoriasis, but it may help improve the appearance of the skin.
Avoid triggers: If possible, individuals should identify their triggers for scalp psoriasis and consider things ways to limit them.
It is important to seek treatment, as this can reduce the risk of further complications, such as hair loss or cracked and bleeding skin on the scalp.
It is difficult to prevent scalp psoriasis, because the exact cause remains unclear.
However, treating the condition as soon as symptoms appear may prevent it from becoming worse.
Scalp psoriasis affects individuals differently. Some people have an occasional flare-up while others deal with the condition frequently.
If a person knows what triggers symptoms for them, they can try to avoid these factors.
Don’t Miss: What Does The Word Psoriasis Mean