Can Psoriasis Be Managed By Only Using Topical Treatments
You may find that what works for you today stops working for you a year from now. Topicals such as creams and ointments can be very effective for reducing or even eliminating symptoms. However, theyre not a cure.
Avoiding triggers can help make topical treatments more effective. In some instances, they may also be more beneficial when combined with prescribed medications and changes to your nutrition.
Best For Face: Abundant Natural Health Ocean Soothe Psoriasis Relief Lotion
Finding the best face lotion is not always easy, given how the surface can be more sensitive compared to other parts of the body. Abundant Natural Health Ocean Soothe Lotion is made with 100 percent all-natural ingredients to prevent any chemical irritants from further inflaming psoriasis patches.
The formula combines seawater with aloe vera and tea tree oil. The product works by using salt from seawater, which is mixed with cucumber extract, to exfoliate the dry skin patches along the surface. The aloe vera and tea tree oil then soothe the exfoliated skin and hydrate the surface to prevent new scales.
Best Natural: Ahava Dead Sea Body Mud
“Dead Sea mud has long been heralded as a healing treatment for a variety of skin concerns, including psoriasis, due to the high mineral content,”says Audrey Kunin, MD, a board-certified dermatologist and the founder of DERMAdoctor.
The creamy product contains vitamin E, Dead Sea minerals and a calming mandarin and cedarwood scent. It’s also vegan and paraben-free.
Buy it: Price: $29 for 12.3 oz
Don’t Miss: How To Diagnose Plaque Psoriasis
Best For Body: Visha Skincare Face2feet All Over Body Balm
According to Dr. Patel, this cream has natural anti-inflammatory ingredients that can help soothe cracked skin while also acting as a moisturizing agent. It also promises to improve the quality of your skin and increase its elasticity, so it’s got quite a few perks.
Buy it: Price: $35 for 10 oz
Hydrocortisone Creams And Ointments
You can buy a mild corticosteroid like hydrocortisone without a prescription. For a few small patches of psoriasis, a mild hydrocortisone works well. If you have more than a few small patches, youll likely need a prescription corticosteroid to see results.
Whether OTC or prescription, this medicine works quickly to:
Reduce the itch
If you have cracked or bleeding skin, an ointment will likely feel better than a cream. Ointments tend to be more soothing and less irritating than creams.
MoisturizerThis may help anyone who has psoriasis because psoriasis makes the skin dry and scaly. Moisturizer helps to seal water in the skin, which can:
Help your skin heal
Dermatologists recommend applying moisturizer once a day, and more often when your skin is really dry. When shopping for a moisturizer, you want to select a:
Heavy cream, ointment, or oil rather than a lotion
Product that you like and will use
Oil can be especially healing, but its also messy. To reap the benefits of oil, try applying it before bedtime.
Moisturize before washing
For best results, you want to apply your moisturizer within 3 minutes of bathing and after washing your hands.
Scale softenersYoull find OTC products and prescription medicines that contain salicylic acid. This active ingredient helps to:
Remove and soften scale
Removing the scale helps other medicine that you apply to your skin to work better.
Don’t Miss: Is Sea Salt Good For Psoriasis
What Is Salicylic Acid
keratolytic agent , which means it can help the skin shed its outer layers.
People with psoriasis often use salicylic acid alongside other medicated creams because the salicylic acid allows the other creams to penetrate the skin more effectively.
Some products will need a prescription, but others are available over the counter.
References Used In This Article
Don’t Miss: Is Psoriasis Skin Disease Contagious
Maries Original Eczema Soap
What I appreciate about this soap is that its safe for everyone. Its a good choice to eliminate psoriasis even for babies and children. Other skin issues like eczema and dermatitis can also be taken care of.
I find relief from the soothing effect of this soap. Skin becomes soft so plaques will gradually peel off. It also wiped out my symptoms of psoriasis such as flaking, dryness, itchiness, and patches.
Im satisfied as I can get over every symptom. This soap for psoriasis even lightens my skin tone when theres discoloration caused by dermatitis. Eczema bumps and psoriasis patches are also carried off.
Im impressed that all my symptoms, including itchiness, have gone in the first use. Based on my experience, 75% of the symptoms vanished after three washes. As I continue to use it, they are no longer visible. My prevention of symptom recurrence is also guaranteed as I stick with this product.
You may feel some granules on one side of the soap as it is the organic bran oat filled with antioxidants to soothe, seal in moisture, and combat inflammation. Bentonite clay is added for detoxification and purging the pores of impurities and irritation. The body wash is antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral because of the Noni herb.
- Not good for sensitive skin
Era Organics Natural Cream For Eczema Psoriasis & Dermatitis
- Skin conditions may result from allergies, allergies, environment, genetics and compounds you come in touch with.
- Some eczema and psoriasis remedies can have hidden toxins which might actually cause additional irritation or even make the skin ailment they claim to heal.
- Our body and face cream helps restore your skins perfect 5.5 pH to supply the optimal environment for recovery while nourishing, moisturizing and combating distress.
- Rather than relying on compounds that could irritate skin and just aim the symptoms, why dont you use a moisturizer which can help nourish skin so its a opportunity to heal and recuperate with no side effects?
How Do Dermatologists Treat Plaque Psoriasis
Although there is no cure for psoriasis, Adam Friedman, MD, professor of dermatology at George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, says there is almost always a treatment option that can help.
If, after seeking treatment, you’re still experiencing symptoms and flare-ups of your moderate-to-severe psoriasis, but your doctor isn’t offering you another option, that should be a warning sign to you, says Dr. Friedman. “We know under-treatment is a problem,” he tells Health.
Here are three categories of treatment that dermatologists commonly recommend, plus several non-traditional remedies that experts say may be worth a try. Your doctor may use one, or a combination of the following, to bring you relief.
Yoro Naturals Organic Manuka Honey Baby Eczema Cream Psoriasis Cream
- Enjoy a natural, GMO-free all-natural eczema cream thats full of soothing agents. Our creamy balm formula is moisturizing and thick, simple to use, but not too greasy like typical oil based balms and will be your very best eczema cream to use to seriously dry, irritated skin and wont burn or sting even the most debilitating blemishes or open wounds.
- This fabric diaper cream is excellent for treating your toddler rash a natural organic diaper cream and toddler eczema lotion for children the entire family will adore.
- If youre trying to find a multi-use psoriasis therapy cream that could also give relief as an all around skin rash cream.
- Ideal to be used as a 100% organic rosacea cream and as an atopic dermatitis cream too. An eczema hand lotion which may also give immediate relief on small wounds, minor burns and cuts.
Also Check: Psoriasis Or Eczema On Hands
Will I Get Side Effects
Whether you get them depends a lot on the strength of the corticosteroid, how large an area you spread it on, and how long you use it. To lower your risk, your doctor may look for the weakest one that can get the job done in the shortest time.
Some common side effects that could happen to you:
- Thinning of your skin
Do Complementary And Alternative Approaches Work For Plaque Psoriasis
Plenty of people with psoriasis turn to non-traditional therapies for relief. Responding to a 2019 patient survey described in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 41% of patients reported using alternative treatments in place of traditional medicine in the last five years, while 50% said that they have added complementary remedies to their treatment regimen.
When used in combination with traditional treatments, some people find that integrating natural treatment can be helpful, says the NPF. But some remedies can interact with medications or might not be a good fit for you, so it’s important to talk with your doctor first. Below are some options.
Aloe vera. This plant gel may help reduce redness and scaling caused by psoriasis and can be applied up to three times a day, according to the NPF. The foundation suggests finding a cream containing 0.5% aloe.
Apple cider vinegar. Applying apple cider vinegar a few times a week can help with itching on the scalp that is caused by psoriasis, as long as you don’t have cracked skin or bleeding areas on the scalp. To avoid burning, the NPF recommends using organic apple cider vinegar that is diluted with water in a one-to-one ratio.
Sea salt. Adding Dead Sea or Epson salt to a warm, 15-minute bath can help scales fall off and relieve itching, says the NPF.
Don’t Miss: What Is A Best Treatment For Psoriasis
Best For Hands: Mg217 Medicated Moisturizing Psoriasis Cream
Providing enough hydration to the hands can be a challenge, as they often are depleted of their moisture with hand washing and other tasks throughout the day. MG217 Medicated Salicylic Acid cream is fast-absorbing and doesnt stain, meaning you can get back to your other tasks within minutes of use.
The fragrance-free lotion is non-irritating and uses salicylic acid to target any psoriasis patches. Provitamin B5, avocado oil, shea butter, and aloe then mix in to provide hydrating relief. Customers rave that it’s one of the few lotions that works for them to relieve dry patches.
Now we know shampoo is not technically lotion, but hear us out. Washing the hair removes the natural oils that help keep the scalp moisturized and healthy. This can further irritate any psoriasis patches already forming on the surface.
This is where Neutrogenas T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo comes in. The product addresses dryness and flakiness on the scalp that can be caused by psoriasis while also keeping the surface hydrated. Included in the formula is coal tar extract, which scientists say works up to four hours after hair washing to help the scalp shed dead skin cells.
The Heartbreak: What Are The Causes Of Psoriasis
The exact causes of psoriasis are not fully known. Many researchers believe it is a combination of factors — including family history, a faulty immune system, and effects from the environment.
- In people with psoriasis, certain white blood cells that normally fight off infection instead attack healthy cells . It is the most prevalent autoimmune disease in the U.S.
- New skins cells are formed too quickly and result in a layer of dead, scaly skin and white blood cells that remain on the top layer of skin instead of sloughing off.
- These patches of skin and lesions are known as psoriatic lesions or plaque psoriasis.
- Psoriasis can lead to feelings of embarrasment, self-consciousness, and worry.
You May Like: Is Psoriasis Considered A Disability
Cerave Hydrating Cleanser Bar
The creation of this soap bar targets all the symptoms of psoriasis. You would agree with me as it is concocted by dermatologists who know very well how we can achieve healthy skin.
CeraVe utilizes MVE technology to replenish the adequate amount of ceramides and to lock in moisture. I love that ceramide reconstructs the natural barrier of the skin. What I like most is it doesnt only deduct the much-needed moisture in fighting psoriasis symptoms but it also evens multiplied thrice moisture due to the 5% moisturizing cream and hyaluronic acid.
I can see that it promotes hydration. The nourishment it provides will counter dryness and irritation, which I suffered when I had psoriasis. It received the approval of The National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance as it has shown efficacy in handling sensitive skin issues.
Im sure it is best suited for dry skin. This soap for psoriasis also helped me get through winter when my skin became dry. By providing an adequate amount of moisture, itchiness can be eliminated. Its also non-comedogenic.
I like it being non-fragrance. When you use this cleanser, you have to lather it well but you can rinse it off easily. It needs patience for you to see the results. Using it continuously is advised as its worth it.
- Continuous use is needed to see the results
Aveeno Moisturizing Cream For Sensitive Skins
This product is specifically made for those people who have eczema and sensitive skins, which also include those who have psoriasis. The Aveeno cream can help relieve your irritated skin which can also intensely moisturize it and prevents your skin from getting dried up again.
The product is enriched with an essential lipid that is naturally found on the skin, which plays a huge role in restoring and enhancing the protective function of your skin.
This is also clinically proven to reduce the itching and irritating feeling on the skin. Aveeno cream is dermatology tested, and gentle enough to be used for babies and for the children.
You May Like: Beginning Stages Of Scalp Psoriasis
Wild Naturals Eczema Psoriasis Cream
- Wild Naturals lotion prevents itching fast, reduces pain, and encourages repair of damaged skin cells, with no steroid therapy. Our powerful ointment utilizes organic aloe vera since it is primary ingredient, not water such as most skincare products. Aloe is an anti-inflammatory and penetrates deep into skin to rapidly calm and soothe cracked, flaky, inflamed, or itchy skin.
- Produced with manuka honey, also a medical grade honey, found only in New Zealand. Its unmatched curative properties and will be the very antibacterial honey in the world. Additionally, it is a highly effective moisturizer packaged using a unique mix of minerals, vitamins and amino acids which obviously seals in moisture to protect dry, damaged skin.
- Our organic 15-in-1 formulation is totally pH balanced in 5.5 so itll be readily absorbed, is non-irritating, and will not irritate skin fantastic for sensitive skin. Light and non-greasy.
- The beauty of non-medicated, natural products is that it is possible to apply as often as required.
Cbd Dosage For Psoriasis
There is no real dosage guide when using CBD for psoriasis.
If you have never used CBD before it is best to start with a low dose and work your way up gradually if you need to. Make sure to monitor how your body reacts to the CBD and stop upping the dose as you see results.
As for topical products, you should apply a small amount to an unaffected area of skin to ensure you do not react to anything in the cream, balm, or gel. Wait for 30 minutes to ensure your skin doesnt react to the product.
Once youve made sure there is no reaction, you can follow the application instructions on your chosen topical. For creams and balms, spreading a thin even layer over the affected area is enough to take effect, other products will need rubbing in to promote absorption.
Recommended Reading: Fotos De Psoriasis En Manos Y Pies
The Best Soaps For Psoriasis
Psoriasis can go on cycles but you dont only have to seek treatment during the time of its peak. Its wise to be ready for any possible occurrence. Dont let the symptoms catch you off guard. Follow the saying Prevention is better than cure.
People who only have to deal with small areas can get over it easily. But it can be severe and thats the reason why you need to get the best soap for psoriasis. Red skin plaques and silver scales or crust can affect your lifestyle as your confidence wanes and the choice of your clothing is no longer your fashion sense.
The flare-ups can last for weeks and even up to months. They can be found on your elbows, knees, trunk, and scalp. With the right soap, you can minimize the symptoms.
What Does Psoriasis Look Like
Psoriasis can occur on any area of the body, including hands, feet, elbows, scalp or genitals.
- In plaque psoriasis, the most common form of psoriasis, the skin tends to be dry, flaky, itchy, red and covered with white scales.
- Psoriasis can affect small areas of the body or be very widespread.
- For many people, psoriasis can lead to embarrassment, self-consciousness, or stress some people may require treatment for depression or anxiety.
- Family doctors, dermatologists, or rheumatologists may treat your psoriasis depending upon site and severity.
- See more pictures of psoriasis.
Recommended Reading: Dr Sheffield’s Psoriasis Medicated Moisturizer
Finding The Right Psoriasis Treatment:
Heres one of the challenging things about treating psoriasis: Your body can build up a tolerance to a certain medications, so something that seemed magical in its ability to bring you relief could suddenly stop working. On the other hand, a treatment that didnt work for you years ago could suddenly work wonders.
Thats why trial and error is a necessary part of psoriasis treatment. Finding the right treatment for psoriasis is much like finding the right partner. It may take some ‘dating’ until the right one finally comes along, says Dr. Gohara. Some may work for a bit, but then efficacy fizzles. Topical steroids are the most common culprit of this phenomenon, although it may happen with other topical or systemic medication as well.