Aloe Vera Benefits For Dreadlocks
There are so many benefits in aloe vera that youll immediately want to start putting it in your hair . For the purpose of this blog, Im only going to stick to the dread-enhancing properties.
- Aloe vera contains anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
- It contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C and E, and more than 20 minerals.
- Aloe vera contains acemannan, a complex carb that removes toxins and dead skin cells.
- Aloe vera is largely made up of water. One of the main benefits of using aloe is to moisturize the scalp. Applying it directly to the roots of your hair will hydrate your skin and it and provide nutrition to your hair. Once it dries, it wont leave anything behind or clog your pores.
- In other words, aloe vera is residue-free!
- Aloe vera contains vitamin E which strengthens and nourishes your hair follicles. It creates more elasticity and prevents breakage.
- Aloe is a natural conditioner leaving your hair shiny and smooth without causing your hair to dry stiff.
- It promotes hair growth, prevents itching on the scalp, reduces dandruff, and conditions your hair. Aloe vera tends to have a chemical thats similar to that of keratin which helps rejuvenate the hair.
- Aloe vera helps to control frizz. For those who like to have a controlled mane , this is one of your best natural solutions.
- Aloe vera will help to heal wounds caused by excessive scalp scratching. It might also help with scalp psoriasis and pimples on the scalp.
Growing Your Own Aloe Vera For Psoriasis
Aloe vera plants are useful plants that have a topical gel inside their leaves. This gel can be used to treat scrapes and mild burns, and to provide relief for other skin conditions, including psoriasis.
These plants are easy to grow. They can be grown indoors or out, and require little water and care. That makes aloe vera a great plant to add to any home or garden, even if you dont have a green thumb.
Its a very easy-to-care for plant, even for a novice gardener, says Sandra Vultaggio, a horticulture consultant with Cornell Cooperative Extension in Suffolk County, New York.
Colette Haskell, a Colorado certified nursery professional at Nicks Garden Center in Aurora, CO, agrees.
They thrive on neglect, she says. You can forget about them for a few weeks.
Here are tips on how to grow your own aloe vera plant and help it thrive.
Can Homegrown Aloe Help Treat Psoriasis
Weekly advice from our herbs and alternatives expert
I was reflecting on the virtues of aloe vera when a new study popped up in my inbox. Aloe, in case youve never met one, is the spiky, cactus-like succulent and popular houseplant whose stalky leaves contain a clear gel thats used in countless personal care products and cosmetics.
Used for healing skin problems since the days of the pharaohs, aloe was a go-to treatment for poisoned arrow wounds and was favored by African medics way back when.
I cant vouch for its effectiveness against arrow wounds, but I can tell you that aloe might be worth a try if you have psoriasis, the chronic autoimmune diseasethat causes scaly, reddened skin eruptions.
Better than steroids?According to a recent study, treatment with aloe led to a greater reduction in psoriasis severity when compared with a topical steroid cream.
The study, which was presented at the International Congress of Dermatology in May 2009, involved 80 patients, and has yet to be published in a peer-reviewed journal. Still, say the researchers, Aloe vera can be considered a safe alternative treatment for mild to moderate chronic plaque psoriasis, which is the most prevalent form of this bedeviling skin condition.
Where to find aloeYou can buy 70% aloe vera creams and gels in health-food stores, or you can simply use aloe vera goo straight from the plant. To do so, just break off a leaf, split it open with a knife, and scrape off the gel.
Also Check: At What Age Can You Get Psoriasis
What Is Sea Moss Gel
Sea Moss Gel is simply soaked sea moss blended with water. You can always add bladderwrack or elderberry to your sea moss to give it even more of a nutrient boost. You can also buy Sea Moss in powder or pill form.
I prefer to buy raw dried sea moss and make my own sea moss gel. Its super easy and allows me to use it in any way Id like. If youre a visual learner, heres a step-by-step video of how to make sea moss gel: How to Prepare and Make Sea Moss Gel.
Aloe Vera: The Miracle Plant For Your Scalp
Aloe vera is an incredibly nourishing succulent. It is used in traditional medicine for healing wounds, treating burns, reducing inflammation and digestive aid. Its also popular for treating skin conditions, such as acne, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
One of the major problems we dread heads face is an itchy scalp. For the first year, my head would itch so badly that I would end up with bumps all over my scalp. I tried the commercial itch relievers, even one recommended by my loctician, but nothing significantly helped me.
In my dread journey, I also come across a large list of hair products that were my favorite before I had dreads, but I can no longer use them. The reason being that many of the hair products out there will attract dirt, lint and other things to the dreads. Youll want to be extra careful of what youre putting in your head.
But thankfully, aloe vera is NOT one of those things. In fact, your scalp will love this simple ingredient added to your hair treatments. The day I tried fresh aloe vera on my scalp, it felt like I had just hit a jackpot. This plant will work miracles for your itchy and inflamed scalp.
Don’t Miss: Iso Urea Md Baume Psoriasis
Therapeutical Plants For Skin
4.1.1. Aloe vera
. syn. Aloe barbadensis Miller is most biologically active among 400 species . According to report of World Health Organization, this medicinal herb is the best source to prepare natural drugs . The plant is native to southern and eastern Africa. Then, it was introduced into area of northern Africa and other countries.
is from the lily family . Different parts of the plant, especially its gel, are effective on the body.
Gel from the plant can help to reduce redness and scaling associated with psoriasis. Aloe vera contains anthraquinones, steroids, saponins, mucopolysaccharides and salicylic acid. Active ingredients Aloe vera include anthraquinone and acemannan that have antibacterial activity and therapeutic of psoriasis disease. Moreover, salicylic acid as a component in this plant has keratolytic effect to remove psoriatic plaques .
4.1.2. Silybum marianum
The Chinese used burdock to treat upper respiratory infections. In fourteenthcentury Europe, a combination of burdock and wine was used to treat leprosy. Also, Burdock is used for fevers, a variety of dermatologic conditions , syphilis, etc.
Active ingredients in Arctium lappa include:
Sulfur about of 00.10.002%.
Polysaccharides and mucilages such as xyloglucan.
Lignans such as arctigenin.
This plant acts as antiinflammatory, antimicrobial , antineoplastic and antioxidant.
4.1.4. Devil’s claw
Harvesting And Using Aloe
To get aloe from your plant, use a sharp knife or garden shears to cut a mature leaf off the plant.
Haskell says aloe grows as a rosette, and the older leaves can be found on the bottom. Once you cut off a leaf, she recommends kneading it to loosen up the gel inside.
Knead in your hand and it will start to break and give way, and you can feel it get mushier inside, she explains.
Then you can either squeeze the gel out as you would toothpaste or slice the leaf lengthwise and open it to see the thick gel inside.
You can put the gel directly on your skin or squeeze it into a bowl. You can store the gel in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze it for up to a year.
Speak to your doctor before taking aloe vera gel by mouth. Drinking and eating too much aloe can be dangerous. It can cause kidney damage and be fatal.
Also Check: Get Rid Of Guttate Psoriasis Fast
Structured Interview And Validation Of The Questionnaire
The method used in this study was based on our previously published study . Briefly, ten psoriasis patients were interviewed in the first stage of the study to explore their views on the use of medicinal plants to treat their psoriasis and the methods they use in the preparation of these medicinal plants.
A questionnaire containing two sections was developed as in our previous study . In the first section, patients were requested to provide their sociodemographic details such as age, educational status, marital status, place of residence, monthly household income, disease stage, period relapsed since the patient was diagnosed with the disease, type of treatments used, whether the patient used medicinal plants or not . Inclusion of these sociodemographic variables was based on a literature review of previous studies. In the second section, patients were requested to answer open-ended questions to provide the names of medicinal plants used, reasons why the patient used these medicinal plants, who informed the patient about these medicinal plants, methods of preparing medicinal plants and the sources of these medicinal plants.
The questionnaire was piloted and revised to help understanding. Two trained researchers conducted the interviews and collected the questionnaires from the study participants.
Aloe Vera Gel For Psoriasis
Aloe for Psoriasis in gel form can help alleviate and control the symptoms of psoriasis in the following ways
- Research has shown aloe vera to be effective in treating inflammatory diseases. As one of the first symptoms of most types of psoriasis is inflammation of the affected area, a timely application of Aloe vera gel will reduce the swelling and sensation of burning, and help to clear it up in only a few days.
- During outbreaks of psoriasis, the skin can become dry, causing it to contract and split, which can be very painful. A one-time application of Aloe vera gel will help to rapidly rehydrate the skin as well as soothe any irritation. A note of warning here though, repeated use of aloe vera as a moisturizer can actually lead to your skin dehydrating at a faster rate than normal, according to research conducted in 2014.
- A study conducted in 2015 foud that, thanks to a chemical compound called glucomannan found in aloe vera, it has healing properties which can accelerate healing time for cuts and sores. If the skin is cracked and bleeding due to psoriasis, aloe vera gel will help it heal.
- Shampoos containing aloe vera for scalp psoriasis hav been shown to be effective.
Read Also: Can You Develop Psoriasis Later In Life
Psoriasis And Skin’s Barrier Function
Although the psoriasis is a multifactorial disease, the studies show that disruption the homeostasis in skin’s barrier can be one of the important factors.
In fact, several factors are effective on the hemostatic :
Structure of heterogeneous from lipid/protein can be one of the main causes in hemostasis. The lipid/protein structure is renewed continuously. So, if this barrier is damaged, the lipid/protein structure causes its rapid regeneration.
Several key proteases for desquamation.
Epidermal junction is important in the formation and maintain of barriers such as epithelial and endothelial and desmosomes bands. The studies show that raising calcium concentration stimulates keratinocytes to form strong cellcell adhesions.
In epidermal keratinocytes, both extracellular and intracellular Ca2+ can be important to cell differentiation and proliferation.
According to the abovementioned descriptions, the choice of drug for treating disease plays an important role. In the meantime, there are certain groups of drugs will in some cases trigger an onset or aggravate psoriasis such as lithium, chloroquinebased antimalarials, betablockers, etc.
How To Incorporate Aloe Vera Juice Into Your Diet
Talk to your doctor first before you start consuming aloe vera orally. This is especially important if you have any known allergies to plants, if youre pregnant, if you have a history of renal or cardiac disorders, or if youre currently taking any other medications.
You can find bottled aloe vera juice sold at some health food stores and drugstores. Aloe vera juice has a strong, pungent taste that might put some people off. For those who cant stand drinking it straight, try mixing it into a fruit smoothie. Here’s a quick recipe you can whip up that’s great for fighting inflammation:
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple
- The juice from 1 freshly squeezed lime
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 cup of aloe vera juice or recommended serving size on bottle
- Ice cubes optional
- Water or coconut milk optional
Don’t Miss: Psoriasis Treatment Center New York Ny
What Were The Results
2248 patients who had mild to moderate psoriasis were treated with either a placebo or the ointment for 12 weeks. Neither the patients nor doctors knew what treatment each patient was receiving.
The research team found significant improvement in patients who received the therapy, which supports the value of propolis and aloe vera in the treatment of mild to moderate psoriasis.
Here’s how the researchers separated responses to the treatment:
- Excellent response: When all psoriatic lesions disappeared, and skin becomes nearly normal
- Good response: When some of the lesions disappeared
- Weak response: When no significant improvement in symptoms was observed
- No response: When no response happened at all
In the group which received the propolis and aloe vera treatment, the overall response at the end of 12 weeks was:
- Excellent response: 64.4%
- Weak response: 5.6%
- No response: 7.7%
In the patients who received a placebo, no significant improvement was observed after 12 weeks of treatment.
Reasons For Using Or Not Using Medicinal Plants
When asked why they use medicinal plants to manage their psoriasis, patients using medicinal plants gave various reasons. The most commonly reported reason was safety. Other reasons reported in this study are shown in Table .
When nonusers were asked why they were not using medicinal plants to manage their psoriasis, again they mentioned many reasons of which concerns over safety was the most frequently reported reason. Other reasons are shown in Table .
Don’t Miss: Can Dupixent Be Used For Psoriasis
Integrative Approaches To Care
The use of natural treatment options can be effective for some individuals when used in conjunction with traditional treatment options. The National Psoriasis Foundation suggests that you talk with your health care provider before trying any integrative treatment approaches, and especially before taking any herbal remedies to avoid dangerous interactions with your medications. Also, you should not take some herbal remedies if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure or mood disorders. Stop usage and consult your health care provider immediately if you experience side effects.
Aloe Vera With Coconut Oil And Shea Butter
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of alovera, coconut oil and shea butter.
- Stir well and then apply on skin, massaging gently in circles for 2 minutes.
- Leave on overnight or rinse with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
- Repeat daily to get relief from the itching and dryness.
- Or you can mix small amount of aloe vera gel and lukewarm coconut oil. Apply onthe psoriasis affected skin and scalp areas. Rinse it off after getting few minutes.
- Add aloe vera gel to cocoa butter, Shea butter and oils with vitamin B5 to make fine moisturizing cream and use this cream to get rid of psoriasis.
Don’t Miss: Psoriasis Treatment Tea Tree Oil
How Does Aloe Vera Help Treat Psoriasis
Aloe vera has been used in medicinal treatments for centuries. As a topical application, it is used to treat a wide range of skin conditions and as a dietary supplement, to boost the immune system and as an aid to digestion. But what about aloe vera and psoriasis. Is using aloe vera for psoriasistreatment effective? Before we answer that question, we need to look at what exactly is psoriasis in order to be better able to understand how aloe vera, both as a gel and a dietary supplement, can help manage the condition.
Sea Moss Gel Is A Natural Thickening Agent
Sea moss, often called vegan gelatin, has a mucilaginous and gel-like consistency, thus can be used to thicken foods. Its perfect for thickening soups, stews, drinks, ice cream, and more.
I like to add sea moss into my Superfood Blueberry Chia Jam. Its made with nutrient-rich chia seeds, blueberries, and with the addition of sea moss it is incredibly nutritious and it tastes amazing. If youd like the recipe for my Superfood Blueberry Chia Jam, check it out here.
Don’t Miss: Does Psoriasis Get Worse With Heat
Aloe Vera Juice For Internal Healing
Various health benefits of aloe vera juice related to psoriasis can be summed up as:
- Promotes Digestive health
- Strengthen the body immunity
How Aloe Vera Juice improves Digestive health
- Aloe vera juice detoxifies the whole digestive tract. Aloe vera is a gelatinous plant food. It is the natural tendency of gelatin to attract and bind water to itself. Hence, aloe vera juice would move through the intestinal tract absorbing various body toxins and eliminating them through the colon.
- Its laxative properties can treat constipation and promote smooth bowel movements.
- Aloe vera contains 8 enzymes. These enzymes help in breaking down the food sugar and fats to improve digestion and promote healthy bacteria in your gut.
- Aloe vera juice enhances the absorption of vitamins from the food you eat. If you are taking dietary supplements to make up for the nutritional deficiency of various vitamins, then drinking aloe vera juice can enhance the absorption of these vitamins in your body. It is good to know that it is equally effective for both, water soluble and fat soluble vitamins.
- Aloe vera possesses powerful antibacterial and antifungal properties. In a study of more than 300 people, it was found that aloe vera juice rinse is as effective as chlorhexidine in reducing dental plaque. The point is- aloe vera juice can combat the growth of bacteria and yeast in your mouth . Hence, aloe vera juice can help you to get rid of Candida.
How Aloe Vera Juice helps reduce Inflammation