Ways To Treat Psoriasis At Home
Even though it affects your skin, psoriasis actually begins deep inside your body in your immune system.
It comes from your T cells, a type of white blood cell. T cells are designed to protect the body from infection and disease. When these cells mistakenly become active and set off other immune responses, it can lead to psoriasis symptoms.
Even though theres no cure, many treatments exist to ease the symptoms of psoriasis. Here are 12 ways to manage mild symptoms at home.
Hydrocortisone Creams And Ointments
You can buy a mild corticosteroid like hydrocortisone without a prescription. For a few small patches of psoriasis, a mild hydrocortisone works well. If you have more than a few small patches, youll likely need a prescription corticosteroid to see results.
Whether OTC or prescription, this medicine works quickly to:
Reduce the itch
If you have cracked or bleeding skin, an ointment will likely feel better than a cream. Ointments tend to be more soothing and less irritating than creams.
MoisturizerThis may help anyone who has psoriasis because psoriasis makes the skin dry and scaly. Moisturizer helps to seal water in the skin, which can:
Help your skin heal
Dermatologists recommend applying moisturizer once a day, and more often when your skin is really dry. When shopping for a moisturizer, you want to select a:
Heavy cream, ointment, or oil rather than a lotion
Product that you like and will use
Oil can be especially healing, but its also messy. To reap the benefits of oil, try applying it before bedtime.
Moisturize before washing
For best results, you want to apply your moisturizer within 3 minutes of bathing and after washing your hands.
Scale softenersYoull find OTC products and prescription medicines that contain salicylic acid. This active ingredient helps to:
Remove and soften scale
Removing the scale helps other medicine that you apply to your skin to work better.
How To Prevent And Treat Your Stress To Cure Psoriasis
There are many ways to prevent and treat stress. Some people may find those different methods work for them, but these are some general tips that can help:
1) Identify healthy coping mechanisms and stick to them. This could involve things like exercise, journaling, or deep breathing exercises.
2) Avoid any type of self-judgement. Accepting that everyone has stress and its normal to feel overwhelmed sometimes can be helpful.
3) Try to maintain a positive outlook and practice gratitude. Focusing on the good things in life can help to offset negative thoughts.
4) Seek professional help if the stress is becoming too much to handle on your own. There is no shame in seeking help, and a professional. can provide you with the tools you need to manage your stress.
If you are struggling with psoriasis and stress, it is important to seek help. There are many resources available to you, and a professional can help you find the best way to manage both conditions. Stress can make psoriasis worse, so it is important to take the time to reduce the stressors in your life.
Don’t Miss: Foods That Help Scalp Psoriasis
What Are The Best Otc Creams For Psoriasis
Best Natural OTC psoriasis creamsCoconut Oil. Jojoba Oil. Aloe Vera. Apple Cider Vinegar. Epsom Salts Or Dead Sea Salts Adding Epsom salt or Dead Sea salt to your warm bath and soaking for at least 15 minutes can help ease the Scale lifters Scale lifters allow the medication to reach the psoriasis lesions by lifting and removing the scales.
Other Treatments For Psoriasis
If youve found that psoriasis creams are having no effect upon your symptoms, you should speak to a doctor. They may suggest a more potent topical treatment, or refer you to a dermatologist for specialised treatment.
Treatment plans for severe psoriasis typically involve phototherapy with ultraviolet light, or systemic treatments given as tablets, capsules or injections.
Read Also: Guttate Psoriasis Vs Pityriasis Rosea
Are There Complications Of Psoriasis
In some people, psoriasis causes more than itchiness and red skin. It can lead to swollen joints and arthritis. If you have psoriasis, you may be at higher risk of:
- Use medicated shampoo for scales on your scalp.
Other steps you should take to stay as healthy as possible:
- Talk to your healthcare provider about lowering your risk for related conditions, such as heart disease, depression and diabetes.
- Lower your stress with meditation, exercise or seeing a mental health professional.
Types Of Psoriasis Continued
Examples of other types of psoriasis include:
- Inverse Psoriasis:: This psoriasis may affect skin fold areas such as the genital area, under the breast or arms, or around the groin area. The lesions are flat, red, and often without scales.
- Nail Psoriasis: Nails may become yellow-brown, pitted, flake away or detach from the nail bed.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: May occur in up to 30 percent of patients with psoriasis symptoms include swelling of the knees, ankles, hands and toe joints pain and may be accompanied by nail psoriasis.
Also Check: Is Psoriasis A Side Effect Of Humira
When To Change Things Up
Many topical treatments can bother your skin. So over time, your doctor may suggest that you switch to different types of creams. You may also use them along with other kinds of treatments, like or medications you take by mouth or with shots.
And don’t be surprised if something that was working stops — or something thatâs never helped before starts to do some good. Let your doctor know what makes a difference and what doesnât. Together, you can find the treatment that’s right for you.
Before using topical treatments, make sure you understand the directions and the side effects they can cause. And stick with your treatment plan once you start. If you don’t use your medication regularly, your psoriasis could get worse.
Bruce E. Strober, MD, PhD, associate director of dermatopharmacology, department of dermatology, New York University School of Medicine co-director, Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis Center consultant for Amgen, Biogen, Genentech, Fujisawa, and 3M.
Jeffrey M. Weinberg, MD, director of the Clinical Research Center, St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York City assistant clinical professor of dermatology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons consultant for Amgen and Genentech.
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases.
American Academy of Dermatology.
Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Moisturizer
If you are looking for the moisturizing type of treatment, then you should try this moisturizer that is specifically made for those who have psoriasis. This is tested by some of the best dermatologists, so expect this product to be a safe and an effective treatment for your skin condition.
This moisturizer can offer you a full regimen of scale removal, and other skin soothing products that can help you experience immediate relief from all your uncomfortable, itchy, and painful symptoms of your psoriasis.
This moisturizer is gentle to the skin therefore, you can use this product every day without having any problems. Dermarest contains active ingredients which can help stop the itch and comforts the irritated are of your skin.
Don’t Miss: Mejor Tratamiento Para La Psoriasis
How Do You Pick The Best Treatment Option
Once you are diagnosed with psoriasis, your healthcare provider will help you decide the best treatment for you. Your primary care provider can usually treat mild psoriasis. In some cases, you might need to see a specialist called a dermatologist.
Psoriasis is different for everyone, but treatment generally proceeds as follows:
If you have mild psoriasis involving a small area of your body, you can try a topical treatment or targeted phototherapy first. If that doesnt work, systemic treatment with an oral medication or biologic is the next step.
If you have moderate or severe psoriasis involving a larger area of the body or a sensitive area like the palms or soles a systemic treatment with or without phototherapy is recommended as first-line treatment.
Systemic treatment is also needed if you have both psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
Finding the right treatment isnt always easy. Its not easy to predict how someone will respond to treatment, and sometimes you have to try a few medications before you find one that works for you. You may even need more than one medication, too. This process can be frustrating, but your healthcare provider can guide you through the process.
If you have already been diagnosed with psoriasis and need prescription refills, it may help to know that there are several services that can provide a consultation and prescription online.
Amlie Monnier Clinically Tested Cream For Eczema Dermatitis And Psoriasis Treatment
- Make peace with your body by alleviating the 4 symptoms of additional dry skin redness, roughness, flaking and itching.
- Our breakthrough formula seals in moisture and repairs the damaged skin barrier for long-term relief. Feel the tough, cracked patches soften, keep outbreaks under control and also bid farewell to irritating itches.
- The product of decades of European research excellence, DermaCalm moisturizes skin to its heart, instead of simply adding a greasy layer such as other eczema ointments.
- The synergy of this strong moisturizing complex , working collectively with active yogurt probiotics, rose oil and bisabolol, hastens the healing of exceptionally dry, flaky skin often associated with eczema, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis and dyshidrotic eczema.
- Clinical trials have conclusively shown compounds inside these ingredients to boost hydration, excite cell respiration, and enhance the general health of the skin.
Also Check: Why Does Psoriasis Flare Up
What Can I Do To Prevent And Treat Psoriasis
Try these self-care measures to better manage your psoriasis and feel your best:Take daily baths. Bathing daily helps remove scales and calm inflamed skin. Use moisturizer. Cover the affected areas overnight. Expose your skin to small amounts of sunlight. Apply medicated cream or ointment. Avoid psoriasis triggers. Avoid drinking alcohol. Strive to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Buying Psoriasis Creams Over The Counter
You can readily buy emollients in a pharmacy, but medicated creams will typically require a conversation with the pharmacist or a prescription from your doctor.
Coal tar shampoos, including polytar shampoo, which are a treatment for scalp psoriasis, are usually available to buy without speaking to a pharmacist.
You May Like: Essential Oil Treatment For Psoriasis
Cream For Psoriasis Anti Itch Treatment To Relieve Psoriasis Symptoms Like Dry Patches Flakes Rash And Scales
- Among the most tenacious and baffling skin ailments, psoriasis is due to skin cells which multiply 10 times quicker than usual.
- This makes an overabundance of dead skin that builds up and contributes to bothersome elevated red plaques.
- In an effort to create this skin ailment simpler to cure, pHat 5.5 has generated an assortment of products to heal psoriasis symptoms utilizing only natural ingredients.
- Soothing Natural and Organic Ingredients to permit your scalp and skin to rejuvenate.
- Promotes healthy skin and assists with plaque, guttate, loma lux psoriasis in addition to cracking, peeling, split or rough dry scalp and skin stains.
- PH Balanced at 5.5 like your hair and skin to prevent skin irritation and psoriasis flare ups
What Are The Topical Therapies Used To Treat Psoriasis
Topical therapyCorticosteroids. These drugs are the most frequently prescribed medications for treating mild to moderate psoriasis. Vitamin D analogues. Synthetic forms of vitamin D, such as calcipotriene and calcitriol slow skin cell growth. Retinoids. Calcineurin inhibitors. Salicylic acid. Coal tar. Goeckerman therapy. Anthralin.
Don’t Miss: How Bad Can Psoriasis Get
What Causes Psoriasis Outbreaks
Psoriasis outbreaks differ from person to person. No one knows exactly what causes flare-ups. Common psoriasis triggers may include:
- Skin injury .
- Streptococcal or other infection that affects the immune system.
- Certain prescription medications .
- Cold weather, when people have less exposure to sunlight and humidity and more to hot, dry indoor air.
Best For Intense Itch: Curl Curl Hydratherapy Itch Defense Wet Skin Moisturizer
Thanks to oatmeal extract, vitamin E, and a ceramide complex, this goes to town fast, minimizing itch and generally making skin feel better. The formula is water-activated, so youre meant to slather it on immediately post-shower . Its so great for irritated skin conditions that it has both the National Psoriasis Foundation’s Seal of Recognition and the National Eczema Association’s Seal of Acceptance.
Read Also: Uvb Phototherapy Lamp For Psoriasis
Best For Elbows: Dove Dermaseries Fragrance
The elbows are another common spot where psoriasis appears, says Miller. And for that particular area, this balm can’t be beaten. Its thick enough to address the thicker skin on your elbows credit a petroleum-jelly blend thats great for any type of super dry skin, psoriasis-prone included. Still, it absorbs quickly without feeling greasy, so you can even use it in the morning before getting dressed.
What Are The Complications Of Psoriasis
Psoriasis can be a very frustrating condition because it is hard to treat. In some cases, psoriasis can become so severe that it causes physical and emotional distress. Additionally, people with psoriasis are at an increased risk for other autoimmune conditions and heart disease, diabetes and depression. The common complications of psoriasis can be arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, skin cancer, and eye problems.
Read Also: Early Signs Of Scalp Psoriasis
Wild Naturals Eczema Psoriasis Cream
- Wild Naturals lotion prevents itching fast, reduces pain, and encourages repair of damaged skin cells, with no steroid therapy. Our powerful ointment utilizes organic aloe vera since it is primary ingredient, not water such as most skincare products. Aloe is an anti-inflammatory and penetrates deep into skin to rapidly calm and soothe cracked, flaky, inflamed, or itchy skin.
- Produced with manuka honey, also a medical grade honey, found only in New Zealand. Its unmatched curative properties and will be the very antibacterial honey in the world. Additionally, it is a highly effective moisturizer packaged using a unique mix of minerals, vitamins and amino acids which obviously seals in moisture to protect dry, damaged skin.
- Our organic 15-in-1 formulation is totally pH balanced in 5.5 so itll be readily absorbed, is non-irritating, and will not irritate skin fantastic for sensitive skin. Light and non-greasy.
- The beauty of non-medicated, natural products is that it is possible to apply as often as required.
Heal Flaky Red Skin With These Topical Treatments
Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the bestproducts, and articles are reviewed by healthcare professionals for medical accuracy. Youcan learn more about ourreview process here.We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
Psoriasis is a skin condition that most commonly causes red, scaly patches in areas along the body like the knees, scalp, and elbows. The long-term chronic condition has no cure, with people typically experiencing flare-ups for a few weeks to a few months before it dies down.
Although there is no cure to the condition, products on the market help to relieve dryness, itchiness, irritation, and discomfort. Not all lotions are created equal, with some using fragrances, dyes, and chemicals that can further irritate your psoriasis instead of relieving symptoms.
Mark Lebwohl, M.D., a New York board-certified dermatologist and member of the American Academy of Dermatology, told Verywell Health that people should seek an expert opinion if over-the-counter topicals dont relieve their psoriasis symptoms, as a prescription topical could provide better results.
Ways To Avoid Irritating Genital Psoriasis
To get the best results from treatment and avoid flares, you want to avoid irritating genital psoriasis. The following can help you do just that:
When treating genital psoriasis, use the treatment that your dermatologist prescribed for this area. Psoriasis treatment that youre using on another part of your body can be harmful in the genital area. Tazarotene can irritate the area, making genital psoriasis worse. Any type of phototherapy can increase your risk of developing genital cancer. Strong coal tar therapy may also increase the risk of genital cancer.
Tell your dermatologist if the treatment irritates any skin in your genital area.
Use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser. When bathing, you want to avoid deodorant or antibacterial soaps and body washes. These can irritate the delicate skin, causing genital psoriasis to flare.
Moisturize. Gently applying a fragrance-free moisturizer to the psoriasis after bathing and when the area feels dry can reduce chaffing and irritation.
Use quality toilet paper. This can help reduce irritation.
Avoid getting urine or feces on genital psoriasis. These can cause psoriasis to flare.
Wear loose-fitting underwear and clothing. Tight-fitting clothing can cause friction, which can worsen genital psoriasis.
Get plenty of fiber in your diet. Eating a high-fiber diet or taking a fiber supplement will ease bowel movements.
What Treatment Is Available For Genital Psoriasis
A treatment plan may include:
Medium-strength or potent corticosteroid
Mild coal tar
Pimecrolimus cream or tacrolimus ointment
Stronger medicine such as cyclosporine, methotrexate, or a biologic
If you follow the treatment plan and it fails to work, tell your dermatologist. No one treatment works for everyone. You may need different treatment to get relief.
Also Check: What Are Biologic Drugs For Psoriasis
Eucerin Skin Calming Itch Relief Treatment
This fragrance-free lotion contains cooling menthol and soothing oatmeal to help relieve and calm itch. Although it wasnât created for people with psoriasis, its ability to âhelp relieve night-time itching,â according to the manufacturer, might appeal to people with psoriasis who know this problem all too well.
Why Trust Verywell Health
As a seasoned health writer, Danielle Zoellner knows the importance of finding just the right product to fit your medical needs. Throughout her career, Danielle has interviewed a variety of experts in the medical and health fields while reviewing dozens of products. Her experience and knowledge in the field work together to help readers like yourself find the best products for your daily life.
You May Like: One Type Of Treatment For Psoriasis